Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd March 2010, 03:32 PM

Default Seating height

I am in the process of fitting my seats but I am worried they may not be high enough? They are 2nd hand Cobra seats but if I measure them as per IVA guidelines, which are a bit awkward to do accurately, they don`t seem high enough to the top of the headrest. I have tried emailing a couple of Cobra suppliers as to whether the newer ones are different to no avail
I would really appreciate it if someone who has the Triton type seats could measure the height from base to top for me, or perhaps if you read this AshG you can give me some idea how they measured yours? .Dennis.
Old 3rd March 2010, 04:06 PM

Hi Drury,

I have the Triton wide seats and they are 26" to the bottom of the shoulder strap holes and 38" to the top of the head rest. I'm a lanky 6'7" and it protects my head okay.......

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:44 PM

Andy, thanks for taking the time to check for me, I think I have slipped up & bought these cobra seats in haste, I have measured them & they are only 21" to the bottom of the strap holes and only 28" to the top of the headrests.
Do your Triton seats fit the chassis width wise ok and how do they bolt to the floor? Dennis.
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:56 PM

Is it just when the headrests are at the bottom of their travel? If so take them off and cut a couple of lengths of tube to go over the metal rods. Slide them on then put the headrests back on. As they can now not go down so far Mr IVA should be happy.
Enoch
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury318 View Post
Andy, thanks for taking the time to check for me, I think I have slipped up & bought these cobra seats in haste, I have measured them & they are only 21" to the bottom of the strap holes and only 28" to the top of the headrests.
Do your Triton seats fit the chassis width wise ok and how do they bolt to the floor? Dennis.
It is still Triton Race Seats selling the seats Drury, the seats fit the roadster fine and have 4 x threaded inserts cast into the base which can be either fixed directly to the floor or onto runners.

Maybe as Enoch says the headrests will slide up far enough.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:09 PM

THe headrests are part of the seat moulded in and not adjustable, I have just been on the Triton website & the wide seats look ok but they are 865mm (34") high it says? I am sure this is probably ok but are they the same ones as you have do you think?
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

i dont recall him being over worried about my seats but they are very tall. i know he measured them in relation to the steering wheel and height off the floor etc but the measurement he was really hot on was the height of the seatbelt mounts, if they had been on the chassis rail rather than the roll bar they would have been too low.

may be worth speaking to adrian h as i think he had to make his headrests taller to pass so will know.

if you can wait until next week i can ask my tester what they look for. otherwise call vosa technical line they know exactly what they are on about.

when he measured the seats im pretty sure he went off the bottom (e.g the top of the bottom cushion) but he took so many measurements it was mind boggling to keep up. i also recall he had a weird and wonderful contraption he used that looked like it was made from a few twigs and a couple of door bells with a level and a protractor stuck to it

Last edited by AshG : 3rd March 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury318 View Post
THe headrests are part of the seat moulded in and not adjustable, I have just been on the Triton website & the wide seats look ok but they are 865mm (34") high it says? I am sure this is probably ok but are they the same ones as you have do you think?
I'll check again tomorrow, sure they where 38" from the seat bottom. They are the wide seats..........

Regards..........AndyH
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:25 PM

Thanks Ash, I have spoken to Vosa who are very helpful but I think the bottom line is my seats are nowhere near high enough, do you have the same seats as Spud? if so could you give me an idea how high yours are from the top of the base to the top of the headrest when you have time?
Thanks, Dennis
Old 4th March 2010, 11:20 AM

Hi Drury,

Just rechecked the Triton Wide seat heights:

Vertical from floor to top of headrest - 865mm
following the curve of the seat from back of butt to top of headrest - 930mm
Vertical from floor to bottom of strap hole - 570mm
following the curve of the seat from back of butt to top of headrest - 640mm

Hope this helps.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH