Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2010, 05:20 PM

Default Bodywork - Ali or GRP?

Hi guys, yet another of my prospective ideas gathering threads for my future build...

I'm just wondering whether to go for a GRP full bodywork (side panels, rear and bonnet etc) or Aluminium for those bits?

Realistically I would struggle to fabricate Aluminium myself, so whichever I went for I'd be outsourcing them - so my main two factors are weight and cost (in that order!).

I've been eyeing up the Saturn kit, but am definitely in the mindset of fitting a full windscreen.

Any advice would be awesome!

(Side note, my copy of 'the bible' should be on order shortly - There's some nice prices on tinternet at the mo...)
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

From what I gather, the rear tub is not that difficult in Ali, nore shoudl the side pannels be. The big one will be making a bonnet that fits nicely with ther scuttle, sides and nose.

Not sure weight for weight. Glass is probably heavier, but will nead no further paint coat. Ali would either have to be left plain to go mat or covered. Also You need to be careful with Ali not to leave any workin marks if it's the final surface.

The saturn scuttle can be used with a screen if you want, but your on your own creating a frame as with any other scuttle design. (perhaps a design for a screen frame on the Saturn Scuttle could be made available by someone)

I think outsourcing all the ALI work on a one off bespoke basis would be far more costly than the glas pack.

So...

If you do it yourself it's probably cheaper in ALI. But it needs careful handling.

if your paying somone then the Glass is probably cheaper.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:54 PM

Grp.......

Regards..........AndyH
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
From what I gather, the rear tub is not that difficult in Ali, nore shoudl the side pannels be. The big one will be making a bonnet that fits nicely with ther scuttle, sides and nose.

Not sure weight for weight. Glass is probably heavier, but will nead no further paint coat. Ali would either have to be left plain to go mat or covered. Also You need to be careful with Ali not to leave any workin marks if it's the final surface.

The saturn scuttle can be used with a screen if you want, but your on your own creating a frame as with any other scuttle design. (perhaps a design for a screen frame on the Saturn Scuttle could be made available by someone)

I think outsourcing all the ALI work on a one off bespoke basis would be far more costly than the glas pack.

So...

If you do it yourself it's probably cheaper in ALI. But it needs careful handling.

if your paying somone then the Glass is probably cheaper.

TT
Thanks for that mate, that's pretty comprehensive!
I've worked with Ali a bit, but I'm not a fan of it - as you said it scratches easily, though other than that isn't the hardest material to work with.

I think I probably would go for GRP, I'm a fan of having the whole body coloured, as I feel it looks a bit more current than the metallic look (but each to their own, and I like the look of both!)

Thanks for the advice!
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:20 PM

ali is best used in the straight flat panel areas - grp on things like nose cone etc - ali is way way lighter - found that out on one of my cars when i chopped the boot box in half and replaced it with ali. wow real weight saving just by picking it up i could feel it.

ali can look really cool as a bare sheet it still is practical - although if going out in salty conditions or wet it needs rinsing and drying thoroughly. or just paint it, etch it, clear coat it, mask it and paint it with patterns.. the options are good with ally. expensive to buy tho - use 1.2mm for bodywork. bends easy 2mm for stuff that needs strength - thats a lot harder to bend.
Old 24th September 2010, 05:19 PM

yep another vote for Ali here. My arches and nosecone are the only GRP bits on my build!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46