Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th September 2012, 08:56 AM

Ive got 0.3 mm between the sensor and wheel and using the shielded cable
Phil supplied in his loom. Ive checked the continuity of the cables and the earth still no joy :-(
Old 6th September 2012, 09:56 AM

Is the polarity of the cable correct? I know you get an error on Megajolt if the polarity of the crank sensor is incorrect. Then the next step is checking all the earths are good and without interference.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterob View Post
Ive got 0.3 mm between the sensor and wheel and using the shielded cable
Phil supplied in his loom. Ive checked the continuity of the cables and the earth still no joy :-(
Its times like this that make a carb and a set points look very attractive

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 7th September 2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Its times like this that make a carb and a set points look very attractive

Bob
or using the OEM ECU!
Old 7th September 2012, 07:33 PM

ok lets ask a real dumb questions and go trough this one bit at a time and may i ask was it s/h, self built or pre built?

1. does your ecu all work ok on a stim? with a vr input running does your ecu get rpm's, sync and work ok if it dont its not going to work on a car! (recheck it)
also have a look at the tooth logger in tuner studio
2. on a ms v3 pcb there are 2 pots to ajust the vr circuit there is a bit in the build manual to pre set them before making running ajustments this may get it going on a stim or on the car
3. what restince do you get between the two signel pins of your pick up (not cranking)
4. with the vr sensor conected directly to a multimeater in V AC what voltage do you get (whip the plugs out to get it spinning better)

do thease bits and we can go from there
Old 8th September 2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

rob if your totally at your whit's end and feel like binning the lot send me the ecu and the sensor and i will check it out for you foc. having built/repaired quite a few ms's im pretty good at fault finding them now.

I don't normally offer my services out as it am pretty short on time these days but I hate to see someone struggling.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 10th September 2012, 09:50 AM

I am at a loss as to the benefits of these megasquirt systems. I was looking on the website and costwise they are not a country mile away from the emerald/dta prices. With that and all the apparent problems most people have getting them sorted is it a good move? The model numbers go on for ever without any explanation as to the functions . The ones I have seen that look any good that are in a decent case with proper plugs are not cheap. Just thoughts and a rant.
http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/index.html

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 10th September 2012, 10:39 AM

Well like ash I don't like to see people struggle I also have a stim to test it if you want to send it to me but before you do anything I would do the bits in my last post first.
If you can. I sent you my number a few days ago to help you get to the bottom of your problems.

I think ms gets a lot of bad press from people who get problems or don't know how it works it is quiet complicated.

If its a pro built unit you could get them to test it for you

Last edited by baz-r : 10th September 2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11th September 2012, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

megasquirt is one of those things where if you understand it fully its very easy. if you dont understand it, you dont bother and get an omex etc. the issue is with all the people in-between. some get most of it an get by, some dont know how it works but are capable of following the manuals with a bit of outside help then there are people that just go for it because its cheep with no intention of learning anything.

here is the deal.... MEGASQUIRT IS AN EDUCATIONAL EXERCISE (its clearly stated on their website) the ecu at the end of the process is the result of what you have learnt, if you dont bother to learn or lack the intellectual capacity the output at the end wont work.

clearly rob wants to learn and for people like him there is huge network of people over on the ms forums. but keep in mind if you come across as someone that is not willing to learn or too lazy to read what is already in a manual there wont be any help.

and as for value an un assembled ms3 kit with the ms3 expansion board works out at £300. but you have to learn about it and build it!

an omex 710 which doesn't do quite as much but has all the main features like fully sequential, cop support, turbo control features etc will cost you £1000.

personally i would say if you want an off the shelf built ecu the omex is the better option but you will pay a bit more for it

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 12th September 2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
megasquirt is one of those things where if you understand it fully its very easy. if you dont understand it, you dont bother and get an omex etc. the issue is with all the people in-between. some get most of it an get by, some dont know how it works but are capable of following the manuals with a bit of outside help then there are people that just go for it because its cheep with no intention of learning anything.

here is the deal.... MEGASQUIRT IS AN EDUCATIONAL EXERCISE (its clearly stated on their website) the ecu at the end of the process is the result of what you have learnt, if you dont bother to learn or lack the intellectual capacity the output at the end wont work.

clearly rob wants to learn and for people like him there is huge network of people over on the ms forums. but keep in mind if you come across as someone that is not willing to learn or too lazy to read what is already in a manual there wont be any help.

and as for value an un assembled ms3 kit with the ms3 expansion board works out at £300. but you have to learn about it and build it!

an omex 710 which doesn't do quite as much but has all the main features like fully sequential, cop support, turbo control features etc will cost you £1000.

personally i would say if you want an off the shelf built ecu the omex is the better option but you will pay a bit more for it
"here here"
think you got it in a nut shell there ash