Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th August 2009, 08:42 PM

I used to have an integra type r a few years ago and the wheels were quite tatty so i had them powdercoated, they looked surperb and stood the test of time too. Two winters later and they looked as good as the day i picked them up

As with everything in life though there will be differing quality between one powder coater and the next, but if done well they should be fine
Old 27th August 2009, 11:36 AM

well, for the past week i havnt really been in the garage, ive just been on the lazy side. I hope to buy all fueal and brake fitments and im also looking for some reasonably cheap headlights, like i dont want to spend more than £100 on all of them if possible, any suggestions?. I also will phone around local scrap yards for a cheap radiator so i can make mounts for it. i cant think what else i need to do before i paint it.
oh yeah, how do you all secure p clips, can i just pop rivet then in place?

On a different note, i went and collected my GCSE results this morning. i got 6 a*'s and 4 a's.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:44 AM

look on ebay for lights, they do come up quite often, either new or second hand, yes you can use rivets for the p clips tho some folk either use self tappers(with sealant as a locking aid, or on some panels a small bolt /locknut, depends if you think you may want to move the pipework in future etc.

a BIG WELL DONE on your results, thats a great achievement, good on ya

andy
Old 27th August 2009, 12:17 PM

oh yeah, umm for the rear red lights. do i need 4 lights , 2 for braking and 2 red lights, or just 2 red llights that get brighter when you brake, i cant remember what the for sierra was like. also what do you do for the rear fog lights. thanks. also are things like this any use?? Thanks
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:26 PM

Well once again ive had a lazy week of doing nothing. I painted a few bits today, and sparyed the brake calipers gold. Ive also been busy buying online, and have got all the brake and duel lines ordered, a flaring kit, and p clips for them, oh and the sheet aluminuim for the floor and inside panels, and a pop riveter, and rivets. Ill be getting the rollbar from the group buy and should hopefully get the bodywork in not too long. I go back to school tomorrow, so work on the car will be slower, but it shouldnt be a problem. I still need to get the radiator and the shocks, but am hesitant about spending £380 on them.

Im still however confused about the lights and the exhaust
another thing ive been looking for is a fuel tank as i dont want to build one, i wondered about what commercially avaliable ones, if any may be of a suitable fit?

Thanks
Old 20th October 2009, 04:17 PM

Hi all,

I havnt been on here in quite a while, but i have been making progress, be it slowly. I have now got a fully painted chassis, done the brake lines and pedal box, fittted a merc 190e radiator and the original sierra fan(bargin for £18), got a roll bar fitted with harness fittings and ive refurbished most parts.

as im now on half term break, i plan on doing as much as i can now, so i need some advice on a fuel tank, as i am not going to make one, and wondered what solutions are availiable. what have others used?. I really dont want to be spending much at all.
Thanks
Old 20th October 2009, 08:55 PM

Well done on your school results Geeman,remember I said when you first started that something told me you would go a long way in this world,well done keep it up,your parents can be well proud of you,and you are building a roadster at the same time. David
Old 20th October 2009, 09:54 PM

Geeman,

I am glad you are back on here; it was reading your post from start to finish one night six weeks ago that made my mind up to build my own roadster.

We are about level pegging, although I think funds will slow me down before time.

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 09:29 AM

cheers both of you, funds are going alot higher than i initially thought , and ive spent an awful load more than anticipated , but im yet to pay for the shocks, exhaust. lighting, fuel tank and iva. excluding tools and welding gas ive so far spent about £2100, but i had to buy all the necassary tools as i dondt have anything before hand and in which case have spent around £3000!!!!!

I just bought a 1.25*2.5m sheet of 5251 2mm aluminuim and 3 sheets of 1x2m 1mm aluminuim that will be delivered tomorrow. im still searching for a soluiton to this fuel tank, and am still clueless...

Im trying to think of somthing to do today as i will be working on my car everyday until oct 30th, but.... its getting very cold in the garage
Old 23rd October 2009, 04:29 PM

pics:
My way of securing the fan to the radiator(merc 190 rad with sierra fan cut to size)

THe floor:

I did the propshaft today by using the rubber doughnut, and the UJ from the diff end of the original sierra prop shaft

Pedal box: