Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2009, 04:31 PM

roll bar

I really didnt enjoy doing the floor yesterday, i used about 140 pop rivets, which meant 140 holes had to be drilled in the chassis, which lead to a very painful wrist, a trip to machine mart to get an extra 6 dirll bits, and endingup with 11 broken drill bits ...... at least i can sit in my car now!!!

oh, and i almost nearly thought about making a small ammount of thermite, as i had alot of aluminuim powder from cutting the 2mm sheet, ans i have a bucket full of rust from several sessions of electrolytic derusting!!
Old 23rd October 2009, 04:52 PM

looking great Geeman

one point tho, in the last pic showing your roll bar, i noticed that parts RS11 & RS12 are missing??? they sit just above the diff, they give the rear suspension box diagonal strength, SB5 SB6 also seem not to be in the photo??

cheers
shorty
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:14 PM

Had the prop balanced? Beware!!

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
looking great Geeman

one point tho, in the last pic showing your roll bar, i noticed that parts RS11 & RS12 are missing??? they sit just above the diff, they give the rear suspension box diagonal strength, SB5 SB6 also seem not to be in the photo??

cheers
shorty
Ive been aware about that.... it started off by me using up the bit of 25mm box i had left in the garage, and i couldnt be bothered to go outside and get another 7m length of it.. so i just never bothered with them....

I hope to do them soon.... but that depends if i can be bothered..., those 7m lengths are a real pain to cut . ill spend one day later on just cutting and welding in those bit s and some bracing for the transmission tunnel.

cheers handyandy..(shorty?)
Old 27th October 2009, 09:59 PM

Just thought id say im quite pleased with what i have done for the exhaust, as i managed it all for the grand cost of nothing, (plus a can of some vht paint later on), and used only parts from the original sierra exhaust. I made a manifold from the original sierra 2 to 1 pipe but shortened it and modified where the bends were to make it go off to the side. I then used the original sierra bits of exhaust piping and took the straight bits off it and used them and then the original silencer. Hopefully it will work. Ill take some picks tomorrow.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:11 PM

Ok, well, i havnt really touched the roadster too often since oct 09, only about 4 days spent on it since then!!!!

I have now got a fuel tank fitted, roll bar stays welded in place, front headlights fitted. However i have a few questions?

Should i just use rivnuts to fit the bodywork?

How do the rear wheel arches fit onto the titron rear tub, and how have others fitted the tail lights/indicators onto them? I have never worked with fibreglass before really, so when i comes to cutting it/drilling what should i be using?

I ended up buying the fuel tank that many others on here have now bought that handyandy first pointed out(i think), and im not sure how to fit the 8mm copper fuel line to the output of it?

Now the big thing i still dont get at all is the wiring, ive messed up the sierra loom TOO MUCH, so am trying to make my own, but im finding it a pain to do so. My garage is now too small for me to work in as the car front end is touching the table at the front of my garage, and the rear is pushing against the garage door, so it is quite a squeeze
Old 28th February 2010, 10:00 PM

Hey buddy. I've just started my bodywork as well. Did you get around to finishing the bracing around the diff etc? If there is one thing I've learnt, its that NO job on the chassis is worth putting off. the more stuff you do, it just makes welding harder. Spent time today putting on my headlamp supports, had to remove bodywork, clean off the paint (Por15, so not sanding... needed a grinder!)

Anyway.... what body work do you have? Fibreglass or aluminium? My aluminium panels are held on with rivets and tigerseal / sikaflex. For panels (such as sidepanels) that mate up to other panels (scuttle / bonnet) I used counter sunk rivets, so they offer a smooth face to line up. My nosecone is held on with rivnuts, as is the to pof my tranny tunnel. But thats it.
Old 10th August 2010, 02:42 PM

Default A few pics

a few piccies:

I dont yet have seats to fit, so will do them one i get them.

I have bought wing mirrors and will fit em soon. Ive bought some front indicators as well and will fit em soon, but they have some imperial thread on which im not sure about.

As for whats left to do, put the p clips in for the engine bay wiring as i havnt done that yet, plumb all the radiator hoses back up as i took them all off.

Finish bolting on the rear tub and underside of the side panels.

Put a rear fog lamp and a numberplate lamp in.

Buy some shocks.

bleed all the brakes again and check all the electircs are working.
Old 19th March 2011, 05:24 PM

How is this build getting on??

Bertie.
Old 19th March 2011, 06:17 PM

I always thought the wheels went on the outside corners.