Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th August 2010, 08:24 PM

Default Letting off steam

I hope its ok to let off a bit of steam but I think my build will be on hold for a couple of months as we live in a privately rented house with a 12 month tennancy and the other day we had a letter from a debt collection agency (Not the first but for people who used to live here) knocking at our door (Not our debt) but for the woman that owns the house.

This afternoon after work I was walking home with my mate who lives opposite us and I noticed a "For sale" sign up outside so we rang the letting agent and he said that she rang the estate agent to see what the market was like and apparently that was enough of a go ahead for the estate agent to put up a sign it was on the market before but was taken off as she wanted to let it out.
We pay £490 just rent a month and apparently that is'nt even covering her morgage.

Our agreement ends in April next year, Our friends have just bought a house and we have been offered there current house for rent as it is her partners parents house (All paid for, just money for them as they have retired) and we are thinking about taking the house as I don't want to stay here with the thought of debt colectors calling what next the house gets reposessed?

Ahhh thats better
sorry.

P.S I'm not givng up and on the brighter side the other house has a mahoosive garage no need to weld under a gazebo. I suppose every cloud has a silver lining and all that.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:37 PM

Default Thats rubbish

Thats bad news matey. Surely if you have atenancy agreement the woman would have to sell the house with a sitting tenant. 490 sheets seems a lot of rent how big is the house?? Maybe look for a workshop or garage to rent.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:01 PM

yea its a 2bed house we have the biggest garden in the street and a 20ft wide driveway down the side.
my Dad has a massive wokshop as he is a carpenter but he lives about 60 miles away.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:52 PM

They have to give at least six weeks (some places its 3 months) notice to leave and it must be in writing. sometimes if your ask to leave before your tenancy finish, you can claim moving cost against your landlord/letting agency.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:00 PM

I would talk to your Landlandy and tell her that as the house is up for sale and you have the opportunity to go elsewhere you will be moving out.I would likely suspect you would have to give 4 weeks notice but you could probably dispute this as she put the house up for sale without notifying you.Then move out and she will be an extra 490quid out of pocket per month until the house is sold
Sorry had the same situation here and the new owner wanted to increase the rent instantly .
Old 26th August 2010, 08:23 AM

cheers for the help, my wife was in tears last night saying that she does not want to live here anymore were both quite scared as balifs could come at anytime and if were in work they could get access to the house. plus it could get reposesses.

plus that £490 a month apparently does not even touch the morgage on the house so she must be in Debt and over morgaged up to her eyeballs.

Last edited by Deanno : 26th August 2010 at 08:26 AM.