Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th January 2013, 09:04 PM

Well my silicon hoses arrived yesterday and I've started fitting them now, although only sent me 1 length of 8mm ID hose instead of 2 so I haven't been able to finish the expansion hoses. I am impressed with the way they look and all hoses should be running down the same side of the car and will be in top of each other so should make for a tidy looking install.

My new header tank cap arrived today as well, so that's been fitted.

I just need to order the remaining bits for it as well as some big p-clips to secure the top hose to the chassis rail.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 9th January 2013, 09:57 PM

I'm very impressed with the progresses you made on your build, Simon, and how nice your car look you are far ahead of me now!
The orange colour of your silicone hoses and body work should be due to your camera or the lightning of your garage, because even the brake lines (that I know are really red), look orange on your pictures, so I guess everything is more red than it looks here

Anyway, congratulations for the good work
Old 9th January 2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the comments Sylvain, its much appreciated. And I can confirm that everything is bright red and not in fact orange, those pictures were taken without a flash in my poorly light garage, just need to get the engine started and I can take some pictures of it outside!

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 17th March 2013, 07:37 PM

Well it's been a long while since I've updated this, I've now moved out of my parents house but as I'm living in an apartment I don't have a garage, so my car is 15 mins away from me so progress has been slow.

I've been trying to get into the garage to little odd jobs that I can complete while I'm at my parents house so I've finished assembling the brakes, I just need to modify one of the brackets to make it IVA compliant and buy some larger push in fittings for my master cylinder and then my brake system will be complete.

I've made the passenger side transmission tunnel panel now and I've finished my dashboard, getting the 19mm bend radius on the bottom was a right nightmare but i've discovered a rubber mallet makes for a really good tool when making panels as you dont mark the aluminium when you hit it (previously I was using a piece of wood on top with a ball pien hammer).

The next job on my list is to try and tidy up the garage! As I am not living at my parents now it has been used as a bit of a dumping ground, and with it being a single garage with 5 push bikes, 1 motorbike, a kit car, 2 sets of tools, a kayak and all of the other crap that seems to accumulate in there it is getting a bit tight, so when the weather improves I'm going to take everything out and try and get some order in there as at the minute I spend half of my time looking for tools.

Old 21st March 2013, 01:27 PM

I've now managed to finish off my wing stays, they just need a slight tweek when I can roll the car out of the garage to get the fully in the right position, then I will be fibreglassing them to the wing stays as I don't like the look of fasteners going through the top side of them. They need a polish up and some edge trim as well, but I will do that once the car is nearing completion as its pretty tight in the garage now so they tend to get knock about.

I've also fitted my fog light, reverse light and number plate light after lending a spare number plate my mate had.

The next job will be to install the rear arches so I can mount the remainder of the rear lights.

I still need to order some more aluminium to make the side panels, but that will have to wait until I have some more money and in the mean time I have a lot of jobs that can be done without spending any money which is always good.

Old 21st March 2013, 02:30 PM

Your fog and reverse are the other way around, that's how they are on the continent.
Old 21st March 2013, 05:08 PM

I wasn't sure which way they should be and as they are the same size and swappable thought i'd just put them on this way, I'll get them changed later on, cheers.

Old 21st March 2013, 06:21 PM

Fog light right or centre reverse to left.

Daft thought,will the rad not go in front of the engine inside the chassis,would save hose length and make it less likely to damage stuck out the front.
Good progress Simon.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:38 PM

Paul, I think I would fit in front if the engine but you may get overheating problems as you won't be able to channel the air through the rad. I don't know if people experience issues with them getting damaged.

Old 21st March 2013, 11:21 PM

It works ok Simon,the Teamtrain car we built has it there and its no probs even without a fan,the zetec does like to run fairly hot for good performance.

Twas just a thought.......

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.