Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2009, 05:32 PM

Now the ECU is built, i will take a bit of time out & do a lot more reading, learning the tuning software. With a little luck i will be able to create a decent base map to at least get the engine running.

I will not be able to do any work on the Zetec engine for a couple of weeks as my workshop will be needed for other things.

Once I have the time & space, first job is to give the engine a light overhaul, make some engine mounts, test fit into the chassis & then finally fabricate the manifolds.

The kit was bought from Diyautotune in the USA.

My credit card company gave me a bit of a crap exchange rate. So the kit cost me £219 inclusive of shippng. Then customs stung me for VAT (£30.34), Parcel farce had another £13.50 handling fee.

Total cost in the end was just under £260.

I believe that a Megasquirt2 - version3. Fully assembled & bought in the UK is in the region of £350-400.

Not familiar with other ECU units available or thier prices.

My eldest had a Simtec ECU fitted in his Subaru recently. This cost over £800

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 20th March 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 20th March 2009, 07:44 PM

Dont quote me but Omex from about £400 up over so not a bad deal Ronnie and you get an insight into the black art of engine management.

Wait untill you can get one with CAN BUS that would give Fabby a heart attack. Only two wires !
Old 20th March 2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Dont quote me but Omex from about £400 up over so not a bad deal Ronnie and you get an insight into the black art of engine management.

Wait untill you can get one with CAN BUS that would give Fabby a heart attack. Only two wires !

This was the main reason for going the kit route

With my roots set firmly in the old school ways it was time to fully embrace the modern electronics systems of todays cars.

I have over the last couple of years managed to build up a very basic knowledge of modern systems ( Familys cars are geting newer ) . However I still did not fully understand how all of the sensors interact with the ECU.

After many hours of reading, I can honestly say that my knowledge has greatly increased.

I am now quite confident that I can meet each challenge that I encounter on the long road ahead.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 21st March 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post

This was the main reason for going the kit route

With my roots set firmly in the old school ways it was time to fully embrace the modern electronics systems of todays cars.

I have over the last couple of years managed to build up a very basic knowledge of modern systems ( Familys cars are geting newer ) . However I still did not fully understand how all of the sensors interact with the ECU.

After many hours of reading, I can honestly say that my knowledge has greatly increased.

I am now quite confident that I can meet each challenge that I encounter on the long road ahead.
one word
" inspirational "
Old 21st March 2009, 11:52 AM

Plugs,Points,Coil and condensers,Su and Stromberg. What have we now they, call it technology,definately a black art and getting blacker as the manufacturers attempt to keep it in house and do stuff direct through the internet.

Definately the dogs bits Ronnie....