Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2009, 05:39 PM

Default Riveting Floor

Hi I've been reading what types of rivet to use on an alloy floor and get the impression sealed aluminium ones are probably best, thought about stainless ones but then read about galvanic corrosion problems.

Also can anyone reccommend what size I should use to fix an alloy floor and what spacing I should place them.

Am kind of new to rivetting.

Thanks
Old 1st July 2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
Hi I've been reading what types of rivet to use on an alloy floor and get the impression sealed aluminium ones are probably best, thought about stainless ones but then read about galvanic corrosion problems.

Also can anyone reccommend what size I should use to fix an alloy floor and what spacing I should place them.

Am kind of new to rivetting.

Thanks
I think (I've written it down somewhere) I'm going to use 4mm x 9.5mm (grip range 3.5mm - 5mm) closed aluminium pop rivets at 40mm spacings for my floor.
Old 1st July 2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, that sounds good to me. What thinkness aluminium are you using. I was going to use 1.6 do you think I'd need rivets with a smaller grip range. 1.6mm alloy + 1.6mm box section = 3.2mm think in total.
Old 1st July 2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

i have done a 1.5mm ali floor with 3.2x12mm grippa sealed rivets

these will do the job

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/40859/...m-Pack-of-1000

also dont forget if you are doing ali sides that is an extra piece of material to go through on the bottom rails
Old 1st July 2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
What thinkness aluminium are you using.
I've used 2mm aluminium (5000 series) and my box section is 2mm wall as well. So thats 4mm. Ideal for 9.5mm rivets. Google rivets. Loads of website list good info on ideal grip ranges and applications for rivets.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:16 PM

I used 1/8th alluminium pop riv's at a 2 inch pitch

Tilly
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the info might get the screwfix ones.

When using an alloy floor and sides should you rivet the 2 at the same time? or can i fix the floor at 2 inch spacing and fix the sides between at a later date, or will this weakon the rails?

I have 1.5mm box secting and am hoping to get 1.6mm alloy sounds like the screw fix ones should do at 12mm.

Sorry with all the questions but did everyone close up the transmission tunnel from underneath? I can't get the floor in the car as one piece so was going to do a drivers and passenger side.

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info might get the screwfix ones.

When using an alloy floor and sides should you rivet the 2 at the same time? or can i fix the floor at 2 inch spacing and fix the sides between at a later date, or will this weakon the rails?

I have 1.5mm box secting and am hoping to get 1.6mm alloy sounds like the screw fix ones should do at 12mm.

Sorry with all the questions but did everyone close up the transmission tunnel from underneath? I can't get the floor in the car as one piece so was going to do a drivers and passenger side.

Cheers
You do the floor, then the sides at a later date. I would consider getting thicker aluminium. I'd have a search on the forum. I believe 1.6mm is ok for a steel floor, but 2mm is recommended for an aluminium floor.

I couldn't get big sheets of aluminium for the floor, so I'm doing 2 separate panels for drivers and passenger floor. Then I'll rivnut a panel underneath the tranny tunnel at a later date.
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:26 PM

I was thinking of having a removable centre piece, might need something to prevent vibration.
I have been looking today and I think 8mm to 10mm rivets might offer the best grip range, those 12.5 ones from screwfix are readily available but not sure if they pull down on 3mm.

Cheers

Last edited by chriseyj : 2nd July 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:18 PM

Dont forget a nice gob of sealer on every rivet before it goes into the floor.
My favourite way is to cut the end of the sealer nozzle slightly bigger than the rivet, pump up so the nozzle is full of sealer and simply stick the rivet into the end of the nozzle before you put it in the hole. That way the irvet is nicely coated and when you pull them up it squeezes out just a little.
Chris