Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th December 2013, 09:26 PM

Default Suspension Setup

Hi guys,
I've been setting up my suspension for the past 2 nights and have hit a couple of problems.

I bought my rear camber adjusters from 3ge and I've found that they are no good. With them fully wound in (and a half nut for iva) they are giving me 3deg positive camber when I want 1deg negative.
I've thought about replacing the adjuster with a rose joint (like ashg has done) however I can only find one place and they only have 1 in stock.
I'm guessing I would also need a bush to reduce it from 20mm to 12mm. Can you get these off the shelf as I don't have a lathe.

The other problem I have is ride height. I loaded the car up with beer and have tried setting the rear height to 150mm but with lots of tension on the spring I got it too 140mm.

On the front, with no preload I could only get the height down to about 110mm (is this ok as its been mentioned 100mm).

Would I be better off taking up the slack on the front and not worrying about the slight difference in height?
Old 17th December 2013, 11:32 PM

Do you have the book adjusters or the tube and sleeve quick adjusters? If you have the book spec wishbones one way round it would be to just cut the threaded boss down and weld the tube ends back up. Don't get too hung up on ride heights as different size wheel rims and tyre profiles will give different heights.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 18th December 2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Do you have the book adjusters or the tube and sleeve quick adjusters? If you have the book spec wishbones one way round it would be to just cut the threaded boss down and weld the tube ends back up. Don't get too hung up on ride heights as different size wheel rims and tyre profiles will give different heights.
They are the book style ones, cut and weld was my second idea. It's annoying that I seem to get one step ahead then 2 back. I think this is the 4th or 5th thing wrong with the 3ge bits I bought, no wonder their no longer in business
Old 18th December 2013, 02:03 PM

That doesn't sound right - are the wishbones correct to book spec. My rear ones are standard wishbones, the adjuster is just a tube with a threaded stud welded to it and I have set it as per Spuds advice - http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showp...0&postcount=28

I've got a half nut on the outboard ends and have got 1/2deg of negative camber.
Old 18th December 2013, 02:40 PM

I think they are book spec, bought from 3ge as I wasn't that confident welding at the time, I've never actually measured them to check if they are correct.

With the adjuster it's the polybushed tube with a m20bolt welded on but there is about 20mm of collar on the bolt so I'm losing that adjustment.
I'll have a go at chopping that down and re welding to see if I can get some neg camber
Old 18th December 2013, 04:26 PM

There should be no collar as it should have been M20 studding so the thread should be right up the welds. Have you trimmed your top wishbones down yet, if not I'll make you a pair of camber adjusters this afternoon?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334