Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2012, 07:41 PM

Ignition switches typically have two 12v outputs. One for essentials fuel ignition etc and another for non essentials heaters etc. non essentials are disconnected when the key is in the start position.
Try putting a small 12v bulb across the battery to check its good while you run tests and fit another with 2 long leads. Tie one lead to battery negative and trace the 12v supply from switch to starter/ ignition unit
I suggest bulbs rather than a meter as you can't damage them! And give a more subjective reading dim etc
Old 12th April 2012, 09:38 AM

Well I check the battery last night and that's definately where my problem is. I put it onto the charger and it said it was fairly full but left it charging overnight anyway. Tried it this morning and wey hey the engine tried to crank for about 2 seconds before dying away. So I guess my battery is totally shot now and not holding enough of a charge. A bit annoying really as it was a new battery that I got from halfords about 6 months ago. I guess all the draining and recharging while trying to get the engine going the 1st time has killed it or it was just too small for the engine in terms of starting amps. Can anyone recommend a better one that won't hurt the wallet too much?
Old 12th April 2012, 10:13 AM

If it is only 6 months old I would have thought it is still in warrenty if you can find the receipt.

They don't know what you have been using it for. See if they will replace it.

Failing that I bought the below. Good batteries, light and powerful. Makes finding a home for it a lot easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Odyssey-PC...em2ebd2 e6f8a

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 12th April 2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedew View Post
If it is only 6 months old I would have thought it is still in warrenty if you can find the receipt.

They don't know what you have been using it for. See if they will replace it.

Failing that I bought the below. Good batteries, light and powerful. Makes finding a home for it a lot easier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Odyssey-PC...em2ebd2 e6f8a
I can vouch for that one, got mine last year and after the winter lay up of 5months my engine fired up 1st time

Light as a feather compared to a normal car battery too

Just check your not drawing current when the car isnt being used first though or your battery wont last no matter what type it is
Old 13th April 2012, 09:37 AM

Ya I think one of these is going to be the way forward. I double checked and the one I had only had 265 amp starting power compared to 360 amps that halfords say should be used for a 1.8 cvh... I'm struggling to really find any other alternatives that are small enough as my battery tray is only 260mm x 160mm (saturn grp one).

So how can I check if it's drawing current while not being used?