Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th February 2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Wideness is not going to be the problems, and I actualy like the wide look. I had thought about a MCSorley When i was building a Locost.

Height is going to be the issue. The bonnet will have to be a lot higher than the standard bonnet as the driveshafts need to run close to verticaly between the hub and gearbox to avoid over stressing the joints. This is going to be even worse on 17's as that will raise the hub center. The scuttle is going to be lower than the nose ( and that may fail the IVA ).

( Look at thee Audi TT for an example of a front engined FWD sports car )

I was also wondering about the front shox and their location.

If you still have the query regarding the mushrooms then I can measuer the front strut of one of my MK1 2.5Si's sapre suspension.

Once my roadster is done, I will be using the 2.5 24V out of my MK1 mondeo in a seconf 7esq car, but with the unit tighlty packed behind the driver.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th February 2010, 10:59 AM

Well its ambitious, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen rolling chassis. I'll offer all the help I can for a Haynes Roadster builder. But I'm not sure if this will resemble a Haynes in the slightest (Different chassis, running gear and bodywork)

I had a quick peek on Locost Builders and I can't find anyone who has used a transverse engine arrangement, in the front.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post

Once my roadster is done, I will be using the 2.5 24V out of my MK1 mondeo in a seconf 7esq car, but with the unit tighlty packed behind the driver.

TT
Ere TT ....... You have nicked my idea

Well .... I can dream it'll hapen for me one day !!

I guess the aspect of shock location would probably be best solved by way of inboard suspension ...... I wouldn't fancy having a crack at that job from scratch !!??

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 9th February 2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

You could use a diagonal from one of the wishbones to act on a damper behind the engine with a rocker on the top rail.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 9th February 2010, 02:19 PM

Well I will keep posting on here letting you all know how its going
Old 9th February 2010, 02:28 PM

Correl, I admire your adventurous spirit, but people are just trying to be helpfull.

I got ""Flamed" within the first week of being on a build site, because I said not everyone could afford to go the home built fuel injection route and I was going to use the Ford stardard stuff on my Zetec!

I would guess you are lot like me in that you probably know it SHOULD not be done, but you cannot resist having a go anyway. Heck, that's half the fun for me!

On that basis, best of luck and if it works, we all look forward to seeing the finished article. Don't forget to document it thoroughly so we can crib when all the Sierra's have vanished!

If however you are looking at getting your car on the road a.s.a.p. for driving, then please take the advice that is freely offered.

As for the towing eye lifting idea? I can push a Mondeo, but I cannot lift one. Enough said?

(Now a TWD Modeo rear engined adaptation, THERE'S an Idea!)
Old 9th February 2010, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_K View Post
I got ""Flamed" within the first week of being on a build site, because I said not everyone could afford to go the home built fuel injection route and I was going to use the Ford stardard stuff on my Zetec!
Hahahah... There just seems to be a big aversion to fuel injection.

I will be using the stock EEC-IV on my 12V V6. And will use the Mondeo 24V Management with Pats when I use that engine, that will be a nice chalenge to keep that working

I am planning to ditch the management on my TwinTurbo sierra though and go to megasquirt as the TurboTechnics stuff is a bit limited.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 10th February 2010, 09:11 AM

hi, I have been modifying cars for years before deciding to build this car. First thing is I know that at the mo everyone is preaching to me but the last post about going mega squirt I have to say something. First though at first I will be using the mondeo wiring loom and have already begun taging and covering all the connector for my easy when they Are removed from the car. Ok if I was going to go custom on my fueling I would go emerald, much more reliable then the mega squirt
Old 10th February 2010, 09:17 AM

mega squirt have a habit of being nothing but grief. I have heard of many stories on my old forums of people using mega squirt and at first it all runs lovely, then disaster when the ecu either just die's or burns something out. The price for emerald ain't that big of deal when you factor in any repair's you will have to make because you used mega squirt
Old 10th February 2010, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

This may be of use

http://enderw88.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/zetec1.jpg

And the gearbox ( yes I know it's a 2WD but you can see how how the driveshaft output relates in terms of the engine)

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical...x75gearbox.jpg

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Last edited by twinturbo : 10th February 2010 at 12:46 PM.