Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th September 2010, 02:07 PM

few more bit added......those bloody D1s and 2's are real buggers with those compound angles.....but got there in the end.
When is the best time to start fully welding the chassis ? before shifting it forwards or after.

Old 6th September 2010, 07:42 PM

Making progress there... I tack welded the whole chassis together including the transmission tunnel and steering support before I started fully welding as I needed to start moving the chassis around to fully weld all the little awkward to get areas
Old 6th September 2010, 11:54 PM

Okay.....lets play spot the cock up!!!! these last two pics have a glaringly obvious boo boo that I have now rectified, I,m sure one of the Andy's will spot it.
Glad I found it before it is fully welded.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Okay.....lets play spot the cock up!!!! these last two pics have a glaringly obvious boo boo that I have now rectified, I,m sure one of the Andy's will spot it.
Glad I found it before it is fully welded.
I,ve just got my laptop back from being reconfigured whatever that means

I like a challenge so had to respond to this......

I reckon the error is that the 2 SB4,s are in the wrong place

May I ask what the 2 pieces of steel in the foreground on the table are? are they parts SB5 & SB6 ? can,t quite see the compound angle in the photo

Nice work there Kev

cheers
andy
Old 7th September 2010, 11:42 PM

Well done bud....I thought if anyone would get this it would be Handy, yep its my one and only cock up thus far but like I said already rectified and sb4's moved further in to the corect 178mm apart and not 178mm to either side of C/L......yes Handy sb5 & 6 thats what they are but I have not yet completed the compound angle that goes to sb2 should be fun getting it right
I have spoken to a guy down in Blackhall Rocks who is going to supply me with 6m of 25mm and 6m of 19mm seamless tube for £40
hope to get a good few hrs on the chassis this week.
ttfn
K4
Old 8th September 2010, 12:01 AM

Kev...

A little tip....( sorry if it sounds like teaching granma to suck eggs )

When cutting the compound angles on SB5 & SB6......totally ignore the 17degree "View B" in the cutting diagram on page 166,

the 17 degree,s is what you actually end up creating by making the compund cut 52 degree,s / 27 degree,s.

lay the tube on the table in the position as in the diagram, bottom sketch, ( as you have already cut the 52 degree angle) then turn the steel 1 flat away from you then scribe the 27 degree angle on the uppermost face( upper sketch), then turn it back 2 flats towards you, scribe the 27 degree line from top right hand point of the steel ( scribe line goes from top right down to bottom left ), then turn steel 1 flat away from you and use a steel ruler to scribe the 2 lines together.

When cutting it, cut each scribe line on 1 flat at a time, turning the steel in the vice to complete each cut......result = perfect compound angle.

Hope this helps,

The other side is in opposite hand.

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 8th September 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:13 AM

Update
Cheers for the tip Handy.....I have already been using an almost identical method as you describe and I agree it works very well.
Now approaching some of the CP's and as usual I search and scour the shed,loft and garage for 3mm plate and find one piece so annother hunt in the shed throws up a compressor tank that is box shaped, I check the thickness of the plate and yep it is 3mm .....champion me thinks as I know I have another one of these lying around somewhere, should be enough to get all of the 3mm components cut out. Cutting it was going to be a pain in the harris but then me thinks.......open the bandsaw and use it like a powered fretsaw.... flippin heck, what do ya know!....it works and now working my way through all the CP parts.
so heres a few more pics

new old stock compressor tank butchered for 3mm plate

using my metal bandsaw as a powered fretsaw

chassis continuing to grow
Old 14th September 2010, 12:19 AM

Nice work Kev

Very "Thrifty" using the old compressor steel

Your chassis is looking great, its soon coming to life .....

question???? have you sat in the drivers seat area yet?

sorry if my "tip" was teaching granma to suck eggs ....

cheers
andy
Old 14th September 2010, 12:55 AM

I am so tempted Andy ...I don't think it will be long before I do the ritualistic sit in and brum brum it air steering wheel style.
I will always be grateful of any tips Andy..... wether I know them or not so do not let that stop you from offering advice, all advice is invaluable with a project like this and the willingness of people on this forum to share thier tips, cock ups etc will make this build much easier than it ought to be.
Think I might be "mushrooming" tomoz coz I have just recieved my red anodizing dye this morning, will post piccies when finished them.
Old 14th September 2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
I am so tempted Andy ...I don't think it will be long before I do the ritualistic sit in and brum brum it air steering wheel style.

Think I might be "mushrooming" tomoz coz I have just recieved my red anodizing dye this morning, will post piccies when finished them.
The air steering wheel just "has " to be done

If you are "mushrooming".....for goodness sake , don,t show the photos to Ronnie he,ll end up doing himself a mischief

Keep up the great work, will have to pop up sometime for a cuppa & a Natter

cheers
andy