Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2010, 09:44 PM

My money is still on an intake system air leak.

D.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:59 PM

I hope it does turn out to be the vac hoses. Should be able to get a look at those tomorrow. Driving to Cirencester to help a friend put his engine back in his Saxo, while there we are going to have a look my vac pipes.

I feel a bit silly, earlier in the thread I said I cleaned the MAF but haven't checked the TPS yet....that's not quite right. My Focus is a pre-facelift one and the engine doesn't have a MAF on the air box. What I cleaned was the TPS at the bottom of the intake pipe on the throttlebody. I confused myself because I had originally been told that that was the MAF but it isn't.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:36 PM

What year is the Focus? also is it the original engine and has it had a recent cam belt replacement? Zetecs are very sensitive to cam timing, if its even a tiny bit late the buggers hunt like a barstard, early and they can tickover too fast and have flat spots.

D.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:08 PM

Y reg, 2001.

To the best of my knowledge it's the original engine, it was bought from a Ford main dealer so I expect they would have mentioned if it had had an engine change.

Had 37K on the clock when I got it, 66K now. Cambelt hasn't been done yet. I was going to do it within the next year. I know the official interval is 100K but general advice seems to be to do it sooner as it's only the belt Ford say will last that long, not the tensioner etc.

Tickover doesn't seem fast, it's about 750-800rpm. On a cold day it will tick over at about 1100rpm until it warms up then drops.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:06 PM

HI, seems youve exhausted the ign side of things but have you looked at the fuel side? have you changed the fuel filter this is often overlooked and can cause all the symptoms your describing.
if you have changed the fuel filter then maybe a fuel pressure test would be worthwhile.
my old mans car got progressively worse similar symptoms to yours I never gave the filter a second thought but he did, we put a new one on ran sweet as a nut after.
Ray