Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st April 2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
I can't stop looking through these images....
You'll go blind if you're not careful
Old 21st April 2011, 01:47 PM

Exciting aren't they!
I have mixed feelings about the MX-5 build though. Problem is, I had planned on using my tuned 2ltr Ecotec out of my Vectra (once the IVA is out of the way obviously) but now I'm 99.9% sure I want to go the MX-5 route which means I'll have a spare engine knocking about that has less potential and will be less reliable than the Jap lump.
Old 21st April 2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
You'll go blind if you're not careful

How are you getting on with yours?
Old 21st April 2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNXenon View Post
Exciting aren't they!
I have mixed feelings about the MX-5 build though. Problem is, I had planned on using my tuned 2ltr Ecotec out of my Vectra (once the IVA is out of the way obviously) but now I'm 99.9% sure I want to go the MX-5 route which means I'll have a spare engine knocking about that has less potential and will be less reliable than the Jap lump.
They are very good engines, I went out for a spin in my donor when suddenly we coasted to a stop with steam from the bonnet and no ignition.....

Turns out the auxillary belt had gone AWOL! I think I smelt it shredding and the battery negative terminal had come loose! New belt fitted and the engine was fine, non the worse for it's abuse!

My friend works for a mazda dealer as a mechanic and he said to me when I asked if he could get me a belt "Stop trying to break the unbreakable car!"
Old 21st April 2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
They are very good engines, I went out for a spin in my donor when suddenly we coasted to a stop with steam from the bonnet and no ignition.....

Turns out the auxillary belt had gone AWOL! I think I smelt it shredding and the battery negative terminal had come loose! New belt fitted and the engine was fine, non the worse for it's abuse!

My friend works for a mazda dealer as a mechanic and he said to me when I asked if he could get me a belt "Stop trying to break the unbreakable car!"
I so need an unbreakable car!!
From the (very) limited amount of research I have done on the Mazda lump, I believe you can just bolt on a turbo, or supercharger with very little other work being needed.
Obviously a remap or standalone ECU would benefit that situation massively, but when you consider other engines need the compression lowering and uprated internals, etc, to accomplish the same thing, the little Mazda lump starts to look very appealing.
Old 21st April 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNXenon View Post
I so need an unbreakable car!!
From the (very) limited amount of research I have done on the Mazda lump, I believe you can just bolt on a turbo, or supercharger with very little other work being needed.
Obviously a remap or standalone ECU would benefit that situation massively, but when you consider other engines need the compression lowering and uprated internals, etc, to accomplish the same thing, the little Mazda lump starts to look very appealing.

Well exactly! Apparently the standard internals can deal with 250bhp and the gearbox can cope with that too. Although the open/viscous diff may not. Being a uk build too with the steering clutch and brake hydraulics on the right you have a big empty space on the exhaust side of the engine! Intercooler might be a bit more of a challenge though!
Old 21st April 2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Intercooler might be a bit more of a challenge though!
You could probably get away without one if you don't go daft on the boost, however I wouldn't like to try it.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:

How are you getting on with yours?
Very slowly. Starting to feel like the whole world is conspiring against my build at the moment!
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Very slowly. Starting to feel like the whole world is conspiring against my build at the moment!
Good things come to those who wait!
Old 24th April 2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Good things come to those who wait!
And even better things for those with extreme patience and attention to detail