Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2009, 08:46 PM

Default I've joined the club !

Finally for around to starting on the chassis for the Roadster today. Made some fantastic progress, started at 10am and by 6pm I had all the bottom rails welded up, front frame made and fitted, top rails and uprights all in place as well. The armoto kit was great and with Chris advice on cutting the notches in the FF2 and 3 It didn't take long to get them sorted. I'd probably still be there now if I hadn't have run out of welding gas!

I've put some pics up on facebook - but everyone should be able to see it through this link -

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=779053510f

Cheers

Dave
Old 18th July 2009, 08:55 PM

well done David, at this rate you,ll be finished in no time at all.

enjoy your build

andy
ps nice & tidy workshop area
Old 18th July 2009, 08:57 PM

Thats, some shockingly good progress, gues not having to cut the metal must really help. I sometimes wish id just bought the armoto chassis pack as it would have saved loads of hassle.
Old 18th July 2009, 09:01 PM

YAY someone else who is using a Tig set. Looks like excellent progress for a day. Keep up this pace and you'll be putting your wheels on before me !!
Old 18th July 2009, 09:02 PM

Smile Great news

A very big well done David

That is a very good days work, brilliant progress

I hope you enjoy the rest of the build.

You have some nice photos in your facebook, a lot more than me that's for sure

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 18th July 2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all your kind comments everyone. I must admit it did surprise me how quickly it went together.

The armoto kit makes an enormous difference to how quickly things go together - I can't imagine how long it would take to cut all your own steel! The armoto kit needs a little fettling where there are burrs etc as they come straight off the machine, I quickly run around the inside with a file, then across the end and round the outside with a sanding disc on the grinder.

I also found having lots of g-clamps, magnetic clamps etc made things a lot easier. For most parts I found the best way was to put a couple of small 'control' tack welds in to hold the pieces in the right place, then get the square out and check all the alignments, levels etc, before finsihing off with bigger tacks. This seems to have worked really well and got any distortion problems under control. Before I knew it I just fell into the rhythym!

Yup, i'm tigging the chassis together. To be honest the main reason behind this is because it is something that I had not really done before apart from the odd 'play' at work. I've done plenty of other types of welding/soldering/brazing so I thought why not! I must admit that I'm loving it - it's all very calm and relaxed and you have so much control over the weld.

Can't wait to get going again - will have to wait until next weekend though to get some welding gas - in the meantime must order some platework!

Cheers

Dave
Old 18th July 2009, 09:48 PM

Hi, are you planning on getting all the chassis plates made, as i would defineatly reccomend that, as for me cutting and finishing them has really been a real annoyance and has only caused me trouble, if i had to do my chassis plates again, id order every one of em from 3ge, and may still order the ones i havnt done from them, as it would have saved my a day or 2 of dull machineing plates
Old 18th July 2009, 10:16 PM

Hi Geeman

Yeah, I will be getting all the platework laser cut - I just need to finish the drawings first! Used a few laser cutters over the years in various jobs, and also for bits for my own steam engine. I'm going to make a couple of tweaks as well - like adding some gussets to the diff brackets
Old 18th July 2009, 10:49 PM

Hat off to you Dave

I have a nice tig welding set, it rarely comes out to play, just too impatient me, just reach for the mig set

look forward to following you progress on face book

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 18th July 2009, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

what lmp are you running the gas at on the tig. i have found that you can get away with about 4-5lpm on a no5 or 6 ceramic welding the chassis. saves quite a bit of money on argon

i did tig quite a bit of mine. but like ronnie i get fedup and crack out the mig as its loads faster and easier to get into all the tight areas with a slightly crushed gas shield