Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th July 2009, 10:32 AM

In terms of the Roadster though, Ronnie said yesterday that the mounts for the Zetec, Pinto and CVH are all reasonably close.

If they are close enough it would be possible to make one chassis that can take all 3 engine types without modification

I know its not entirely universal, but would give people buying a complete chassis some options...
Old 20th July 2009, 10:34 AM

i would look to confirm the donor engine choice & fit the engine mounts relevant to the position that is needed.

its a case of communication between the customer & the chassis builder

andy
Old 20th July 2009, 11:00 AM
fabbyglass

It is possible to allow for at least 5 car motors and maybe more bike motors without altering Chris's most luvvly design...
Old 20th July 2009, 12:14 PM

[quote=mr henderson;18258]Reasons-

How much torque should this type of rubber mounting be subjected to? I don't have any workshop manuals featuring this type to hand, but basically it's a flat plate bonded to rubber, and surely should not be tightened beyond a moderate amount.

Hmm I dont know what sierra your mounts come off but mine are certainly not just a flat plate bonded to rubber.
I think that slotted chassis would be fine but if you were worried about movement there are engineering ways around this a simple engine type specific plate bolted onto the chassis would stop any movement.
or just make different engine side mounts to suit a standard position hole
I only entered this conversation as ive built my chassis and knw there are pitfalls to thinking you can just buid to the book
for instance mr henderson show me where in the book are the dimensions for the standard engine/g/box mounts i assure you you need to fit an engine to find the positions or copy someone elses as there are no dimensions in the book.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:46 PM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In terms of the Roadster though, Ronnie said yesterday that the mounts for the Zetec, Pinto and CVH are all reasonably close.

If they are close enough it would be possible to make one chassis that can take all 3 engine types without modification

I know its not entirely universal, but would give people buying a complete chassis some options...
One chassis can suit at least 5 car motors and 5 or more bike motors without changing the chassis...change the chassis and you run the risk of nobodies bodywork fitting. I know mine fits Chris's design because I made a chassis first then used that to make sure it all fitted nice and snug like.

Also from what I understand of the IVA you are best sticking to the Donor engine and gearbox anyway unless that ratty Sierra was fitted with 'Busa motor prior to being used as a donor then no worries...
Old 20th July 2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post

Hmm I dont know what sierra your mounts come off but mine are certainly not just a flat plate bonded to rubber.
I'm referring to the type of rubber engine mounting shown in the book, sometimes referred to as a bobbin, and they are indeed made by bonding the flat metal plate that the stud is atteched to to the rubber, how else would they be made, and still be flexible?

Quote:

I think that slotted chassis would be fine but if you were worried about movement there are engineering ways around this a simple engine type specific plate bolted onto the chassis would stop any movement.
I'm not worried about the movement, why would I be worried, if the builder isn't capable of drilling 2 holes in the flat plates provided on the book chassis to accept the rubber mountings, then he is going to have a very hard time of it. The obvious sensible solution is to leave the plates undrilled, and allow the builder to place the holes as required. No slots required.

Quote:

i assure you you need to fit an engine to find the positions or copy someone elses as there are no dimensions in the book.
Absolutely, and that is what the builder, not the chassis maker, is going to do. Simple. Two holes. No problemo

Hope that reassures you
Old 20th July 2009, 03:50 PM

Thank you very much for your concern but I can assure you that I was never worried about any of the above points. As I have no intention of buying a chassis from you as ive already built my first one and its in my workshop with an engine/g/box fitted modded brackets to fit 7.5" diff and the complete front suspension on it too.
As always my comments are always meant to be helpful and hopefully knowlegable. it would seem you dont know what a sierra engine mount rubber looks like but im sure you will find out
do you live anywhere near poole ,dorset? I would be happy to show you one lol
Old 20th July 2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for your concern but I can assure you that I was never worried about any of the above points. As I have no intention of buying a chassis from you as ive already built my first one and its in my workshop with an engine/g/box fitted modded brackets to fit 7.5" diff and the complete front suspension on it too.
As always my comments are always meant to be helpful and hopefully knowlegable. it would seem you dont know what a sierra engine mount rubber looks like but im sure you will find out
do you live anywhere near poole ,dorset? I would be happy to show you one lol
I have no idea why you are keeping on with this, and I am starting to detect an unpleasant edge to your responses. I really can't be bothered with this sort of thing anymore so am not going to respond to your next post on the subject.
Old 20th July 2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr henderson View Post
I have no idea why you are keeping on with this, and I am starting to detect an unpleasant edge to your responses. I really can't be bothered with this sort of thing anymore so am not going to respond to your next post on the subject.
Thank Fuck For That
les g
Old 20th July 2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les g View Post
Thank Fuck For That
les g

it took a while

andy