Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2010, 08:29 PM

Default intruments advice please

doh !! INSTRUMENTS advice please

Right, now that i,ve retrieved that costume & my eyes are no longer watering

help please.........

i,ve decided to use the standard 1.8cvh on original carb for the IVA, so i,m going to use the original sierra instrument binnicle too........... but.........

i,d like to install an Oil pressure gauge & Oil temp gauge as an addition to the "warning lights only" of the standard binnicle.......

i,ve seen 2 that i like on the bay ....item number 120528889283,
the pressure gauge says it comes with the "sender",

my question is this

are all oil pressure senders a "universal fitting" & so will it fit into my engine block?

or does anyone have info on gauges that they have used & know that they will fit to my engine?

i don,t want to order these to then find that they don,t fit.

By the way.........i,ll be installing a new dash with individual gauges around the same time my engine goes "pop"

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 11th February 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11th February 2010, 08:32 PM

Andy

It really depends on the thread of the sender. If you're lucky, it'll be the same as the the thread in your engine block, if not you can buy thread adapters from CBS and other places, or get someone local to turn one up for you. As far as I know, all aftermarket oil pressure sensors will come with a take-off for the low pressure warning light on your dash aswell, so you can still have both.

Hope that helps

Adrian
Old 11th February 2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Save your pennies for the moment. Thats my advice.

But almost any guage will have a ford fitting kit with it or available. Mr Burton's catalouge is a good start.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 11th February 2010, 09:13 PM

Adrian....

ok, thanks for that, makes me feel a little easier knowing that it wouldn,t be a total loss if the supplied sender wasn,t the same fitment of my block, cheers

Twinturbo...

"save my pennies", why? do you think its not worth the addition at this point?
I,ll be totally honest & say that once thru IVA the car will be driven hard ( on the track of course ) , tho i won,t be fussed if it goes bang, just means i,d bring my winter project forward

plus, as Spud said to me earlier today, "getting hold of another dash panel won,t be a problem"
so i don,t need to worry about needing another dash panel.

cheers
andy
Old 11th February 2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

An "EXTRA BIG RED LIGHT" will be more usefull. You should be spending more time looking at the road than the guages . Your most likly to get low oil preasure during hard cornering and your not going to be lookign at the guage, wherase a BIG light flickering will give you an idea if the pickup is being starved. If there's a sudden catostrophic failuer of oip preasure a guage is not going to help, and a general low preasure will show at Idle as a flickering lamp.

If you save your pennies now, you can go for a fully electronic dash with all the monitoring built in. Which will cost less than a whole array of guages and keep the weight down ( ok it's not much )

If you do go foe an oil guage you need to choose between electric or capiliary. Electric is less fraught with the danger of the capiliary tube breakign and can be easier to install, but the dials usualy have only a small pointer/ dial . Capiliary guagesr usualy have a full dial right round the guage.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 11th February 2010, 10:10 PM

Thanks TT, you make some good points there , cheers

i,ve always wanted my Roadster to have a full array of individual gauges, so this will be the route i will take later in the year,
maybe its my age i like the full dash look, i,m not a fan of the modern all singing electronic dash single unit , used to have them on the bikes i used to race.

cheers for the input guys

thanks
andy
Old 11th February 2010, 10:15 PM

FWIW I totally agree with TT. Most grasstrack racers and short circuit oval banger racers simply fit an extra big RED light to the oil warning light 'cos you can't miss it when it comes on, its big, its red, its IN YER FACE! You will instantly take your foot off if that light comes on whereas you will probably not notice your oil pressure gauge showing 0 psi when you're mid corner with the tail hanging out.

D.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
i,ve always wanted my Roadster to have a full array of individual gauges, so this will be the route i will take later in the year,
I know, it looks cool ... I have two boost guages to go on my twin turbo sierra , the fact that the boost is more or less balanced by a bypass port in the plenum is imaterial Two boosting needles looks cool .... But they did come in the car

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 11th February 2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

to be honest Andy I would say don't bother for now. keep it as simple as possible get it through iva then play with it.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
maybe its my age i like the full dash look, i,m not a fan of the modern all singing electronic dash single unit , used to have them on the bikes i used to race.
andy
I'll be differen't ..... feeling rather naughty tonight

I guess some of the younger generation don't see the appeal of " That classic look " ...... Well unless it adds a few more BHP

On a more serious note ...... Surely an oil gauge will give an earlier indication of failing oil pressure than a pressure switch ever could !!??
By the time you have a steady flickering light ....... Mains will probably be FUBAR'ed allong with the crank journals

www.roadster-builders.co.uk