Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th March 2010, 11:59 AM

Default Hi Guys - New

Hey guys and gals

im Russ, i live in Wiltshire and im going to be shortly looking at starting my first kit car build.

I have stripped and rebuild/modified many cars over my 11 years of driving, and i also have 2 jobs, i work for VW during the day and buy and sell cars at the weekends, so this will be a long term project.

The thing is, i was hoping you may be able to shed some light on a few things for me, im looking at purchasing a ready made chassis, then gathering and building the rest on my own.

The problem i am facing is im not sure on what to do about the size of the chassis.Im aiming to use the 'build a sports car' book, and do a basic 'book build', but the thing im not confident onis the chassis. I have a few companies who build them ready to the books spec, which is perfect for me. The chap i have been chatting to says he can add inches to the chassis if i require it as im 6 ft3 and most of that is leg, but im not sure how to know how much extra length is needed?

Also, as far as im aware, the width of the chassis from transmission tunnel to side is 18 inches, im average build, mostly arms and legs so im trying to work out how big the chassis will need to be, is there anyone out there who is roughly 6ft3, long legs and about 12-13 stone who could give me an insite to the size? (long shot but worth a try!)

the chassis is build to the heynes build yourself on the
a sports car book measurements, are these ok and correct?

I have ordered the book ,and hoping it will turn up before the weekend.

Thanks in advance, and i apologise about the rookie questions, i just want to make sure im going to do it all right!
Old 10th March 2010, 12:11 PM

Im 6ft 4" and weigh 16 stone with a 36" inside leg and i fit fine in a standard chassis.

Spud who owns saturn sports cars is about 6ft 6" or maybe even 6ft 7" and he drives a standard size roadster too, so you should be fine being a measly 6ft 3 and 13 stone
Old 10th March 2010, 12:16 PM

Oh yeah another thing if you are new to this scene is to be careful about who you buy parts from.

I dont want to bad mouth anyone but do a little research before you buy anything.

A couple of companies i highly recommend are saturn sports cars who supply just about anything you could need and 3ge components who also make some top notch parts.

Welcome to the forum by the way too
Old 10th March 2010, 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forum Russ, thought you might end up on here. No doubt some one will be along shortly to correct my width messurement which maybe alittle off, I realy must buy another book to keep at home instead of working off the top of my head.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 10th March 2010, 12:29 PM

Firstly welcome, Russ,

I to am at an early stage, no chassis yet, and like you was concerned about height and fitting in the car.

Have a look at the thread 'Will I fit: footwell length and driver height' it's only a week or so old and in the chassis section. From that the chassis seems to be vary accomodating to the taller and 'larger' driver.

Hope that helps

eSteve
Old 10th March 2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Welcome to the forum Russ, thought you might end up on here. No doubt some one will be along shortly to correct my width messurement which maybe alittle off, I realy must buy another book to keep at home instead of working off the top of my head.

Lol no problem mate, i will PM you now

Thanks for the welcome guys, im really exited about doing this, im just so worried about getting the size right, nothing worse than getting it built and finding i dont fit!
Old 10th March 2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_16v View Post
Lol no problem mate, i will PM you now

Thanks for the welcome guys, im really exited about doing this, im just so worried about getting the size right, nothing worse than getting it built and finding i dont fit!
You should be fine, if you put your location in your profile a fellow builder may be close by so you can try one out for size.
Old 10th March 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSteve View Post
Firstly welcome, Russ,

I to am at an early stage, no chassis yet, and like you was concerned about height and fitting in the car.

Have a look at the thread 'Will I fit: footwell length and driver height' it's only a week or so old and in the chassis section. From that the chassis seems to be vary accomodating to the taller and 'larger' driver.

Hope that helps

eSteve
Many thanks Steve, just had a read, it does seem as if i can stick to the std chassis legnth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
You should be fine, if you put your location in your profile a fellow builder may be close by so you can try one out for size.

Will do now mate

I only worry due to me being mostly leg, i drove a Caterham at the weekend that belongs to a friend and i couldnt drive it very well at all, when i lifted off the pedals my knees hit the steering wheel, and also my elbow was half over the passenger side! (good job i didnt have a passenger with me)

Is the Heynes chassis longer/wider than the Caterham chassis?

Im sorry im a real rookie with kit cars!
Old 10th March 2010, 01:19 PM

Hi Russ,

Firstly welcome to the forum, you,ll find its a happy / very helpful bunch of like minded nutters ( builders) on here.

The Haynes chassis is 4inches longer & 2 inches wider than the Caterham chassis so you,d have no problem with your height / size ,

Spud69 is indeed 6ft 7in tall & has a standard Haynes chassis, thats the benefit of the Haynes, much more accomadating to the taller driver , tho i,m a shorty at 5ft 8in aka as Shorty at Saturn sports cars.

All the best with your build.

cheers
andy
Old 10th March 2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Hi Russ,

Firstly welcome to the forum, you,ll find its a happy / very helpful bunch of like minded nutters ( builders) on here.

The Haynes chassis is 4inches longer & 2 inches wider than the Caterham chassis so you,d have no problem with your height / size ,

Spud69 is indeed 6ft 7in tall & has a standard Haynes chassis, thats the benefit of the Haynes, much more accomadating to the taller driver , tho i,m a shorty at 5ft 8in aka as Shorty at Saturn sports cars.

All the best with your build.

cheers
andy
Hi Andy,

Thank you for that information, i will see if i can do some sums but i think that should be about right for me, If Talon hasnt got the time (i feel bad to keep asking him questions!) could anyone give me the rough dimentions of the drivers side? Roughly front to back,side to side so i can work out that the length will be correct for me?

And one very last question, how far back is the pedal box positioned? Does it depend on the build?

Thanks again!