Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th January 2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

For Info.. There are ( from memory ) 3 types of sierra Rev counter, which should be marked on the face

4 - 4 Cylinder Single Coil
6 - 6 Cylinder Single Coil
C - Cosworth 4 Cylinder

You may also find other ford rev counters

2 - 4 cylinder wasted spark

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 29th January 2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Sounds like i have the only edis connector in the country without the output for the rev counter!
Mine doesn't either! I think it comes down to if the donor had a counter or not.

Lots of people I know have drilled and just shoved in a wire, but personally I'd rather disassemble the plug (which is possible, I have a link at home somewhere) from two cars and then use one of the spare plug bits on that pin. However for testing just shoving in a wire will work.

That or a bit of scrappy diving to find one with all the outputs when you go looking for the second plug.
Old 29th January 2010, 08:25 PM

After the info from yesterdays replies i spent a while tinkering in the garage when i finished work. Drilled through the edis connector to get to pin 2 on the edis, managed to get a wire from there to the rev counter then fired up the engine. It seems to be reading a little low compared to the readout on the megajolt software on the laptop.

So next i tried connecting to the signal wires going to the coilpack, i wired in a couple of diodes and then tried this which seems a little better. Its quite hard to tell if its reading properly though because i cant rev it too much as its only got a manifold on and is ridiculously loud even at tickover

Just waiting for a 60mm stainless bend coming then i can get my silencer on and try revving it a bit more to find out for sure. At least its actually reading something now though, so its a step in the right direction. I was only using donor instruments for speedo accuracy at iva and ease of fitment, turns out the time ive spent mucking about with a new fuel sender and now the rev counter it would have been just as easy to go with all new clocks
Old 30th January 2010, 08:59 PM

I had to do the diode thing off the coil pack and although it wanders a little its pretty accurate up to about 4k then seems to under read so don't use it at iva, ask them to use their rev counter that clips onto an ht lead or you'll be reving the nuts off your motor and it'll be louder than necessary possibly giving you an incorrect fail.

Cheers

Rich

http://www.kilmartin.it/cgi-bin/gallery
Old 31st January 2010, 09:44 AM

Good advice, thanks