Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2018, 07:59 PM

Default MX-5 NB front uprights & upper wishbones

After leaving my build in the garage for over 18 months, I'm trying to get my backside in gear and make some more progress on it

Currently looking at the front suspension, where I'm using MX-5 NB uprights and original SSC spec wishbones (M14 x 1.5 threaded inserts).

I'm trying to source a suitable ball joint to connect the upper wishbone to the upright. If I was using a NA upright, I could use the BMW 7 series track rod end that SSC suggested.

However, the upper mounting point on a NB is significantly thicker than an on the NA upright, meaning that the BMW TRE is really too short (I've mocked it up on the car as I already have the BMW TREs).

Has anyone come across an alternative ball joint that will fit the NB upright taper and have a M14 x 1.5 RH thread?

Ta.
Old 9th April 2018, 09:26 AM

Take the uprights and a BMW rod end to a machine shop and get them to remove some material where the nut sits, there's so much in that area it's not going to make any difference.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com