Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th November 2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the info.
I see so MK do the gear but want to sell you the whole shebang, I can see why but it's a bit pricey. I'm not great at arguing my case will see if I can just get the gear also when the time comes, wouldn't know where to start to get one laser cut.

I never thought of the starters direction but I suppose this is crucial, I wonder if any starter will run in reverse its only a motor unless the brushes are designed in a certain way. I guess the engaging solenoid will only pull in with the polarity the right way though, perhaps thats what you mod.

Have you hard mounted your engine Tilly thats what I'm doing, I read alot of people do, Slim has his on rubber doughnuts I notice.

Chris

Last edited by chriseyj : 9th November 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:52 PM

Off the top of my head Golf 1 and early Passat have similar starters that turn in opposite directions.
Old 9th November 2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Some of the Japanese car engines run anti-clockwise, surely their strarter motors must also.

May be me having another senior moment though
The problem with selecting the correct starter motor is that not only does the engine direction effect it but also the mounting position, some mount gearbox side, some engine side this effect which way they rotate.

We recently did a conversion for a customer's Spire GTR, he supplied the starter motor and we made the fitting kit & gear ring, which was to be removable after IVA, so we dovetailed the ring in 2 places. We calculated the gear ring to give a reverse speed of about 7mph as it was going to be switch operated (on or off)

It worked beautifully, forwards, with the starter supplied. This has since been rectified with a more suitable starter motor.

The only problem with laser cutting one is how long the gear ring will last, although if it's not too hard to get at it doesn't really mater if they have to be replaced from time to time.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 9th November 2009, 04:58 PM

Hi chris, i used a seat ibiza 1.2 petrol 2002 model starter, yes any starter will run the other way since its DC but the bendix has a one way bearing in that will only engage in one direction...

Cost me 30 quid from the scrappys, just took a batery and jumper lead to the yard and tested a few till i got one..

hope this helps
Tilly
Old 9th November 2009, 04:59 PM

PS it also meshes perfectly with the MK gear
Old 9th November 2009, 10:49 PM

Very interesting, thanks for all this the info I need to write it all down so I know what to get when the time comes.
We still have my wifes 03 Ibiza since she has a company car now and we've been meaning to sell it for 3 years. I better not borrow the starter though I'm pushing my luck building a kit car on the patio.
It's her 30th in December so I think I'm going to be short on car funds leading up to xmas, thought about buying her a scuttle but her dad didn't think she'd appreciate it.
Maybe when its my 30th in a couple of years she can pay for my IVA, might be ready at this rate.

Did you get your prop from MK as well Tilly, I've seen a few with an adjustable length section near the diff. Was the gear for reverse expensive.

Chris.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseyj View Post
It's her 30th in December so thought about buying her a scuttle

Chris.
superb, classic , made me laugh

andy
Old 11th November 2009, 09:05 AM

I got my prop shaft done at wilson drive shafts in nottingham, gear from MK was £75 which they CLAIMED to be cost price, i wrote down the name on the box somewere were they had baught them from but i carnt remember what it was but if i find out or remember il let you now be cheaper then going to MK sportscars.

Tilly
Old 11th November 2009, 10:24 PM

Thanks Tilly that would be handy if you knew who the gear came from, £75 quid is like 3/4 of what you said it cost you to create a reverse!

I have nearly finished welding my engine cradle, earlier though I noticed some pitting on my clutch cover near the gasket to the block, are these Magnesium because I think it may be weld splatter from tacking the cradle.

I think the paint must be thin at the edge of the cover and the spatter has touched metal, they are all within 3mm of the edge, it seeded to of turned it to a graphite like substance the pitting is only shallow 0.5mm so sprayed some galv spray on it.

Also can welding with your engine in damage the electronic sensors? am guessing all the current will flow to the earth clamp. Am guessing the RF spikes wouldn't do an ECU any good.

Chris
Old 12th November 2009, 08:29 AM

you should always disconect the battery when welding on a car, or at least that was what i was taught, both pos and neg

tilly