Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th April 2012, 11:52 AM

i think the con's out number the pro's for a car of a 7 size and mass.

saying that i did like the idea of one bike engine driving front wheels and one driving rear
Old 15th April 2012, 02:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^
What are the Pros and Cons then?

Bets thing to do is to see who has actualy completed the built and take it for a spin along with a standard one to see if there is any difference, it seems that a lot of folk say it will not be any benefit, but has any body actualy driven a Locost or similar buld, haynes in a 4x4 version?

I see your point about prodcution cars but i am sure they would be a different in the way the handle etc.

For me the 4x4 is not for more speed but to get a better handling car, grip in the corners etc and off the mark.

What is the extra cost involved to make it so much more expensive therefore not worth doing, to not be worth doing i would say in the thousands more to build than a RWD, if its in the hundreds then it no loss.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:33 PM

Back in the sixties aF1 car was built with four wheel drive, Stirling Moss drove it ad said it was by far the best race car he ever drove but the 4X4 really made a big difference when it was wet. Rest of the time it as good but not outstripping the rear wheel drive cars by any great margin. I saw SM drive it again last year at Goodwood FoS but not competitively. So the real question is are you planning on buiding this just because its an engineering challenge or because it will REALLY give benefits in the driving?

D.
Old 15th April 2012, 06:14 PM

Bit of both realy Dave, i like a challenge and to do something different and get a few benefits out of it, good to know about the 4x4 in the wet though, now that is a good point as we know how bad these cars are in wet with RWD.

Cheers Dave

wolly
Old 15th April 2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
What are the Pros and Cons then?
main ones i can think of are

pro's

quicker off the line
better traction in wet,offroad and snow (i dont see meny 7's out in rain or snow)
better handling (only near or after loss of traction)

con's
more drag and powerloss
lower mpg
heavyer
more complicated to install
takes up extra space

i have driven meny fwd rwd and 4x4 versions of the same cars and i cant say there is anything to shout about unless it snows or you tow on wet grass.
traction control is a far better solution
Old 16th April 2012, 02:49 PM

Thats a thought, wonder if anyone has built a roadster with traction control ?

I was always dubious about the benefits of traction control until I replaced an old Merc I had with another similar one that happened to have had traction control. No discernable difference between them most of the time but whilst the first was truly hazardous in icy conditions the one with TC copes better with snow and ice than most modern FWd stuff.
Old 16th April 2012, 06:40 PM

this topic makes me want to build a durocco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQREhPfA5w4

one for the VW fans
Old 17th April 2012, 11:05 AM

youre going about it the right way in considering all the possibilities before embarking on the project. it seems you have your heart set on the project and your letting your head doubt it. where theres a will theres a way and they are not problems they are just solutions that need finding and all.

i used a different donor completely for the build and had my fair share of "solutions" to find but time and perseverance anything is possible. but like others have mentioned i can see it being alot more involved than a standard bookbuild.

whatever you decide its going to be fun !
Old 17th April 2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterob View Post
youre going about it the right way in considering all the possibilities before embarking on the project. it seems you have your heart set on the project and your letting your head doubt it. where theres a will theres a way and they are not problems they are just solutions that need finding and all.

i used a different donor completely for the build and had my fair share of "solutions" to find but time and perseverance anything is possible. but like others have mentioned i can see it being alot more involved than a standard bookbuild.

whatever you decide its going to be fun !

The trouble is that i have wanted to build a 4x4 V6 version since i got the Ron champion book, and that was about 16 years ago , that long ago.
I am glad to see all ideas from folk as in the idea i have, as many people have tried but either not managed as with funds, time, lost interest etc etc, but upto know nobody has said it CANT be done, as it has been done but not actualy driven, maybe i am in the wrong place for some folk (purist) as in the end it could well not be a 7 style car as it is a 4x4, heavier etc, but i like the chassis plans and hope to use this. I just want to build a car, and maybe be something different, an engineering project , like many other if i do it it may never be done, but i can say i tried.
All i was after realy is what i have got on feed back, and thats it will help the control, off the mark, but not to extremes, it wont make it faster, but i dont want buckets more speed, they are fast enough.

Lets see what happens hey folks.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:38 PM

i think the problem is the orignal will need so much extra work and possibly money for marginal benifit.
meny have tried and only few have sucsieded sadly mainly to the complete complexity of conversion
i dont even think the front hubs ar of the same geoimerty

maybe a kit more suited to such a job would be a better idea if your set on a 4x4 type 7 (dax)
im not a purest just dont think the consept works as there is to much extra stuff to fit in a car that doesent have much room in the first place

a lsd would be a far easyer improvement