Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th November 2009, 09:41 PM

Frankie

Sounds very interesting! I'd love to see some photos when you get a chance, and I'll definately be at Detling!

Cheers

Adrian
Old 25th November 2009, 11:39 AM

Hi, why not do a book rear panel out of ali?
I saw ash's rear panel at the show and it looked really nice.
also why doesnt the triton/saturn rear fit? is it a locost one?
all immaterial to me im fitting a quantum extreme rear tub and remodelled the rear tubes to suit last night
Ray
Old 25th November 2009, 12:25 PM
fabbyglass

When I made the plugs I only intended to do the nosecone, scuttle and wings but got carried away and made sides, bonnet and rear panel.
I made a bare bones chassis to make sure things fitted but opted to make a 'glass rear end so made it along the lines of the cars I have been involved with in the past...ie no upper rear hoops...wanted it to be an easy thing to fit and not have to fart about trying to line it up on one tube while trying to get it under another...tried that before and it's a complete cock and end up stressing the 'glass.
As it is it just sits on the chassis, yeah you have to knock up a few tubes to carry it but the 'glass isn't under stress so won't break when you drive the car.

Adrian,
No worries matey the pills I'm on space me out so half the time I'm talking jibberish....

I think someone should make a Hot Rod style body.....
Old 25th November 2009, 12:28 PM
fabbyglass

And non of it is Locost either it was all made from scratch and took an age and buckets of filler to create.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:37 PM

Anbody thinking of buying a fibreglass rear end dont let these discussions put you off buying a triton/saturn rear panel because it literally only took me an hour to modify the rear end to suit and get it all fitting nice, its quite a simple job
Old 25th November 2009, 12:48 PM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Anbody thinking of buying a fibreglass rear end dont let these discussions put you off buying a triton/saturn rear panel because it literally only took me an hour to modify the rear end to suit and get it all fitting nice, its quite a simple job
Cheers medears.......thought I had made a reeeet cock up but knew somewhere in my head that it was a doddle to knock up the steel work..
Old 25th November 2009, 03:57 PM

Seen the fibreglass rearend and it really is good, it just won't work with my rollbar arrangement. Like mark said don't let me put you off, if I could use it I would!