Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2016, 08:26 PM

Default Matt's build thread

Well folks, after many years of dreaming, at least a year of planning and a fair bit of procrastinating I have today come home with a roof rack of steel to start my build. I just need to get a sheet of wood for the build table now and build some supports for it. That should be the job for the next few days. I will try to keep this updated as much for my own motivation as anything else. I can't promise speedy progress as I am the father of 2 young daughters (I'm actually on paternity leave at the moment after my youngest was born 10 days ago). I am amazed I get any garage time but my wife actually told me to get on with the project (I must be getting under her feet).

I lurk on here a lot so have followed many of your stories and I just hope that my ramblings, trials and tribulations entertain some of you as much as you have entertained and inspired me.

Here goes nothing.

Matt

Total spent: £0

Achieving an ambition
Old 6th April 2016, 09:01 PM

Good to see another build getting started I will watch progress with interest
Old 7th April 2016, 12:29 AM

Good luck with your build
Old 7th April 2016, 08:01 AM

Good Luck, I too have just started and ultimate respect in getting the Wife to let you out, when my daughters were younger I could't get time to go to the toilet never mind the garage.

Actual cost so far = Have chosen to stop counting incase I incriminate myself -
Cost ive told the wife = A hell of a lot less than I have spent. -
Old 7th April 2016, 08:47 AM

welcome along to the ride. I build my chassis about 6 years ago and had to put it on hold because of young kids and baby's but I v just about finished and hoping to do my IVA retest next Friday.

But good luck with your build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/
https://haynes.co.uk/forums/showthre...=13262&page=15
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:27 PM

Default Update so far

Well it's been a while since I have been on here largely due to:

A) juggling child care, baby care and all the usual household stuff
B) the Mrs declaring that as the baby will be going into the room she uses for sewing she either needs the garage (fat chance) or a workshop of her own which lead to me spending many hours digging in the garden then learning to lay blocks to create an f'ing large flat area which now contains the mother of all sheds ready for conversion into her workshop or Shedquarters as she has named it.

However I have had short blasts in the garage and now have a build table on a frame. The frame is separate and on casters so I can push it around my small garage to make the most of the little room I have. Any suggestions to confirm it's flat? I have laid my metre rule across it and there is precious little if any sag in it.

Now to start marking out and screwing down blocks. I'll try to figure out how to upload pictures with my phone so you can see my minimal progress

Achieving an ambition
Old 4th June 2016, 12:09 PM

glad to hear your back at it it doesn't matter how small the steps are , just keep taking them and look at the "shed build" as just another part of the build as we all need to keep the "boss" happy... lol so if she is happy its time well spent..... now crack on
Old 4th June 2016, 08:20 PM

Don't ever forget that your first priority is to keep the kitchen accountant happy, if she is happy your life will be made amazingly easier

Arfon
Old 11th June 2016, 04:46 PM

Smile

Work is progressing nicely with the build. I now have the base marked out and blocks in place to help position the metal. Getting it all marked out and square was a P.I.T.A but I think I am there or there abouts now although there may be some fettling needed once the tubes are cut I don't doubt. I'm amazed by the different measurements you can get using 2 or 3 different measuring tools even thought they are supposedly the same. As for tools that are meant to be square well I'm amazed by the differences.

Anyway I'm now looking forward to cutting the first bits of metal and seeing the start of my chassis for the first time.

Achieving an ambition
Old 11th June 2016, 05:38 PM

Good luck with your build.

We are about at the same stage as I have just finished marking out my build board, as you say takes a bit of time measuring and double checking but worth it in the end.
I bought a roofers square which really helped us build the table and I've used it in marking out to, I have checked it and it seems quite accurate!

Do you know what donor car you will be using?