Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st April 2014, 09:16 PM

Default GRP rear tub - a bit too wide...?

Last night I finally got round to offering up the Equinox rear tub that I bought 14 months ago....

It was only a very rough placing of the panel over the frame - but it seems to be coming up slightly on the wide side. I measured the chassis width - and it is bang on the book spec. I didn't measure the GRP precisely - but would estimate that the GRP panel is about 8-10mm over width altogether - so overhanging the metalwork by about 4-5mm each side.

First thought is that I space out the side panels an equivalent amount (assuming I have enough material on them to do so) - to maintain a 'straight side' to the bodywork.

Or do I need to look at another solution?
Old 1st April 2014, 11:46 PM

I bought mine from Equinox and it fits perfect, we'll made part can't fault there products.

Regards Mick.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:16 AM

As with Mick,

Perfect fit, and the original panels/mould where built on a Haynes chassis.

How have you stored the panel? It's not been laying on it's back with the sides in the air has it??
Old 2nd April 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland View Post
As with Mick,

Perfect fit, and the original panels/mould where built on a Haynes chassis.

How have you stored the panel? It's not been laying on it's back with the sides in the air has it??
It has mostly been stored in the position it would actually be fitted to the chassis - but has spent some time as you've described.

I do understand that GRP can warp - and be bent back to shape too - but given the 'lip' that the moulding has - I'm not sure how the whole thing is slightly too wide though? It's not as though it has splayed outwards at the open end - it's as though the whole panel (i.e. - the bit the numberplate will attach to) is a few mm wider than it needs to be...

Anyway - regardless of how it has got like this - what's the best approach to get it to fit?

a) mount the rear panel and side panels slightly away from the chassis (pad it out with something)
b) try and persuade the rear panel to fit to the chassis somehow
c) something else
Old 2nd April 2014, 04:00 PM

In reality it doesn't really matter too much if its not tight to the chassis.

Mines riveted along the bottom flange to the chassis and riveted behind the rear arches.

Once the rear arches are fitted I don't think you'll notice if the ends are pulled in slightly as the panel will be pulled about to match the arch shape.

Last edited by Ben_Copeland : 2nd April 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 2nd April 2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland View Post
In reality it doesn't really matter too much if its not tight to the chassis.

Mines riveted along the bottom flange to the chassis and riveted behind the rear arches.

Once the rear arches are fitted I don't think you'll notice if the ends are pulled in slightly as the arches will be pulled about to match the arch shape.
Fair enough - I did look at the pics of Stots car on his build thread and basically go "ah - it'll all be covered up by wheel arch anyway"!!!

Is your car going to be at Stoneleigh Ben? If so I'll come and have a good look at it!!!! (with a T-square in hand!)