Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th December 2010, 08:36 PM

Mines on target for £4040 + IVA. That's all finished with a zetec on throttle bodies and megasquirt.

My Build Diary - http://davesroadster.blogspot.com/

*updated 7/6/11*

Best bit so far: Getting it running
Worst bit so far: Cutting steel for wishbones and engine mounts.
Most annoying bit so far: Generator packing up half way through welding.
Old 31st December 2010, 04:02 AM

Sound like maybe I shouldn't plan on having a budget. It'll cost what it costs. I plan on doing everything myself with the exception of machining(no lathe). Compliments of my sons leftover XR4Ti bits and my big pile of crap (as wife calls it) stored in the garage ,I have the turbo engine (hope its good, was a spare), t9 trans, irs rear or a 10 bolt GM, all wiring and computer, aluminum Merkur "spatula" wheels, steering column with aftermarket wheel, steering rack (already converted to manual) etc, 8 feet of 3" 304 stainless for exhaust and a couple of "pretty" stainless mufflers, one 5 point harness and welded aluminum seat, all brakes are practically new (including braided lines) and bearings were done recently. I have some aluminum and steel in the garage, but not much tubing. I should also have a roll of new brake and fuel line out there. Have a new Autometer mechanical speedo and new sunpro gauges somewhere. Sunpro tach is still on the column in my old work truck. Even have flat black and "Ford Blue" paint, leftover hardener, thinner etc. Have MG Midget seats but were told they wouldn't fit. Also have lots of other bits around.
Maybe my wife is right...... I do have a lot of "crap" out there....good, it should keep costs down.
Jeff
Old 31st December 2010, 04:22 PM

Not really... In my project the raw materials account for about 1/15 of the cost, and the donor parts for about the same. The bulk of the cost comes from the kit car specific items, such as suspension polybushes, shocks, seats, harnesses, steering rack, bodykit, propshaft, lighting, and lots of small things such as brake hoses, brake lines, new brake pads, bolts, rivets, balljoints, paint, etc. Unless you can find these items for next to nothing, you'll be looking at the cost of 5000 USD/3000 GBP give or take, however frugal you are.

I'm torn by doubts on whether new brake pads and disks, new clutch, etc. are a worthwile investment.
Old 31st December 2010, 04:55 PM
fabbyglass

Beats me it really does......harp on about 100's of hp but skimp on fitting new brakes.
Old 31st December 2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post

I'm torn by doubts on whether new brake pads and disks, new clutch, etc. are a worthwile investment.
I fitted new disks, pads, shoes & wheel cylinders........I,m building on a very tight budget but thought that the brakes were the one area I wasn,t going to be tight on, the whole lot only cost £76, well worth the peace of mind IMO.....plus the new disks look nice

also fitted a new 3 piece clutch kit, bought off fleabay for £39, my thoughts there were
might as well fit a new clutch whilst the engine / gearbox were sat on the garage floor as it,ll save me the hassle to take it all apart again once its all fitted into the Roadster.

cheers
andy
Old 31st December 2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post

I kinda share the same thoughts as you Albert

The first donor I stripped had new shoes, drums, disks & pads fitted about 3 months before the car came off the road ( I personally fitted them to the car for a customer )

I too kind of feel that I have wasted a fair bit of cash by buying new stuff

Guess if the braking system is within the manufactures specifications, why chage it !!??

Do know that Dogwood was unfortunate enough to have a warped disk which resuted in a SVA fail .... At the end of the day, If in doubt, swap it out

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 31st December 2010, 06:14 PM

I'm with other posters on this. I spent way under 2 grand on my build (not counting IVA costs) but would never dream of skimping on brakes. I used the original calipers, a refurbed master cylinder, all new pipes, new discs and new pads. I am going to put new rear calipers on as on one side the handbrake does not release as well as it should. I would prefer to have 50 bhp less than brakes that I am less than 100 per cent confident with.
I got my clutch off ebay for less than £30, well worth doing as it took 20 minutes with the engine and box out of the car.
You only get one life, spend it driving rather than recovering in hospital or spending half a day out with the undertaker.
Best and all that,
Enoch
Old 31st December 2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

included in my 3k i managed to get a set of willwoods for the front and new cylinders and shoes for the rear.

but as said i fabricated everything, although i did splash out on laser cut plates and a pre cut chassis pack.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/