Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2009, 10:41 PM

Default Radiator options

I was reading about Ash's Clio radiator thread, I am not sure what car that is from, but I thought I would mention that I am using a rad out of a 1987 Hyundai Excel. I am not sure if the car was available in the UK or if it was, it might be called something else.
I have added a few photos to show that it seems to be a good fit under the Haynes nosecone.
It might be a UK option, not sure but thought I would let people know just in case.
Allan

www.lotussuper7replica.com/
Old 11th August 2009, 10:52 PM

indeed that looks a good rad to fit, i like the positions of the inlet /outlet points.

sorry , forgive me but i have to ask..........

what engine is that?

& are your front upper wishbones fitted with rose joints?

looks very smart

one last thing..... HOW do you keep your workshop SOOOOO tidy ????

cheers
andy
Old 11th August 2009, 11:28 PM

Nice to see some of your work Al

Looks to be a much better Rad than my Nissan Micra one ( Soon to be ditched in favour of a Mk 1 Golf GTI rad )

Well done

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 12th August 2009, 06:16 AM

yes you are right Andy, the upper wish bones do use rose joints, with the swedged tubes I can get the adjustments I need. The lower arms are my own and use Triumph Spitfire bushings.
The engine is a 3.4 litre GM 60 degree V6, quite light and compact, I am using a Holley 390 cfm carburator as well as a good street performance camshaft. The exhaust headers I will have to make myself.
The engine output should be around 210 to 220 horsepower.

As far as a clean garage goes, I think my camera tells fibs, it doesn't look that tidy in real life.

Old 12th August 2009, 07:27 AM

raceral, I'd love some more info on that build. Looks like a live axle. What front uprights have you used? What balljoints, etc.....
Old 12th August 2009, 11:17 PM

Hopefully I can try to answer some of your questions land Locked.
When I got hooked on the project I probably did what a lot of people do I bought 'The Book', downloaded some of McSorelys plans and then discovered Chris's book so I ordered one, also picked up a few other books and tried to decide what would be the right for me.
In the end I liked what Chris had done so my decision was made to build a duplicate of his.
I soon discovered that the donor car was scarce here, they were sold for a short period of time as a performance car with turbos and such, but were very limited, plus what was available was now becoming a collectors item, so there was not much chance of coming across one cheap.
I at first thought of using a Miata, but they are not cheap either.
In the end I modified what I needed to make Chris's frame work for me and that was how I got to where I am now.
I wanted to keep cost down and also have no problem with parts if needed, especially if I broke down somewhere in a small town.

The frame from behind the seats forward is true to Chris's car, I modified my pickup points and I put in some extra bracing.

The spindles are Mustang II as they are very common here.
I have upgraded to 11 inch Ford Granada rotors, but used the GM metric Calipers as they are real cheap and easy to find anywhere.
The ball joints are threaded Moog 722, also common.
The lower wishbones are my own with the same moog 722 joint and Triumph bushings.
The steering rack is a shortened Mustang II rack, cut down by 3 inches, I have used poly mounted bushings.
The rear axle is from a Ford Explorer, I used it because I found one cheap, it is a 5 link setup.
The trailing arms are rose joints at one end and triumph bushings at another, so I still have some adjustment.
I got a whole bag of the Triumph bushings off ebay cheap.
I am using Gaz shocks from Dampertech, price was real good until the canadian govt got involved, but in the end I still saved a few dollars from what I would have paid here.
I got a set of wilwood pedals off EBay for a good price so that is the main reason I am using those.
In fact a great deal of my car is from EBay, maybe I should call an EBay special, even the steering wheel came from EBay South America.

The engine is a GM 3.4, I got that through my brother who works for GM, they had one at his dealership and they wanted to get rid of it and I guess I had buyer written on my face as he made me a good deal, so that came about by chance as I originally hadn't considered a V6, I was going to go with a 4 cylinder initially.

So at this point I still use Chris's book as a guide and where possible build by it, where I cant I just go out on my own.

Hopefully I have answered a few of your questions without making a long read.
Al
Old 13th August 2009, 07:11 AM

Al, thanks for all of that. I agree on choosing parts for the ease of finding them.

Regards
Johan
Old 13th August 2009, 10:46 PM

Been looking through your pics Al, very impressed.

Just one thing, is it an auto box your using, the gear level looks brilliant
Old 13th August 2009, 11:28 PM

The transmission is a world class Borg Warner 5 speed manual out of a light duty truck. Once again cheap and common, the only problem is that the shifter location is quite far forward.

There are different tailstocks that can be used to convert the shifter location further back, but in my case it was cheaper to make up a remote shifter than to find one.
The shifter is some 3/4 DD shaft running through some center bearings that are attached to the tunnel.
I have welded an extension using some clevis's to attach to the regular truck shifter which will be out of sight up behind the dash.
It seems to work well and the shift gate is very small.
The shift handle does not roll like a regular shifter, but slides back and forth in the bearings, as a result to go from 1st gear to second you just pull straight back for about an inch and it is into second, an inch forward again and a little to the right and it is in third gear etc.
It is quite smooth, as to how it will work in the real world I wont know until I am on the road and do a real drive test.

The Hurst shifter handle is one a friend bought me when he was down in Nevada vacationing. He got it to replace the chrome 2 inch trailer ball I had drilled and tapped to use, he thought the trailer ball was a bit to cheap.

Al
Old 14th August 2009, 05:58 PM

Raceral, just FYI a Clio is a small french Car made by Renault. The mark 1 was a pretty pants little car, but at least we can find a use for their radiators!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46