Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th January 2011, 11:33 AM

Default Sierra rear discs

Hi I have discovered that with mki iv golf rear calipers I need the bigger cossie 273mm solid rear discs.
Therfore the brand new standard 253mm rear discs I bought the other week are surpluss.
Any offers? Not sure how much delivery will be though.

Live in Lichfield & work in Derby if someone wanted to collect.

Cheers chris.
Old 18th January 2011, 06:05 PM

for whats its worth.
I consider rear disc breaking an overkill on a seven of any kind. The reason - the brakes need to be balanced for effective breaking - rear does not need that much - and in my case I have bias bar fitted. I also have a Sierra diff unit in the rear of my car Im building and used the hubs with drum brakes as is straight out of the Sierra. This is simple, cheap and save a lot of complications instead of going the disc way.

That said, the rear drums of a Sierra was design to haul down a car weighing about a 1300kg safely, and in a car such as a seven weighing about 600kg max, the drums are more than ample for the rear and would be operating at a fraction for what they were designed for.

BTW, a friend of mine races his car for the last 3 years successfully and runs drums at the rear and is not interested in changing to discs and to quote him, he does not have money to waste.

As for my car, I finally decided to install a Toyota 3sgte series 3 turbo engine that's on order, good for about 180kw, perhaps a little more since I am going to change the heavy cast iron exhaust manifold with a lightweight tubular one and I am comfortable of the braking power the Sierra drums at the back for such power.

Just my thoughts and perhaps many will disagree

Wynand
http://5psi.net
Old 18th January 2011, 08:31 PM

I agree that drums are sufficient on a seven and I am worried about balance issues come IVA.
My drums and back plates were a bit of a mess though and I see discs as a bit more up to date than drums so I sourced calipers and discs instead.
Hopefully the alloy golf calipers will save a little weight too but probably not much.
Guess its just a question of personal preference.