Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_16v View Post
Lol thanks Andy (did you get my pm?)

Its not messing up my plan, so you guys think its going to be easier to fit a Pinto/CVH, get through the IVA then swap to a Zetec, than fit a Zetec, and try to get it through the emissions?

Did they make a pre 92 2.0 Zetec?
yes got your pm, will reply shortly, sorry, had busy day at Saturn & spent a few hours working on my car

not trying to "tell" you what to do but the easiest route for me personally , i,m using my engine from my donor ( 1.8 cvh ) from a car that i only paid £150 for with tax & test, BUT that car also gave me ALL the donor parts i needed, I have the log book in my name & the docs match the engine number etc so when IVA time comes for me I can prove the age of the engine etc & helps to ensure a smooth process of the paperwork side of things & the emissions that my car will be tested on.........

If my engine "goes pop" once on the road etc its an easy swap to the zetec...cvh & zetec have the exhaust on the same side ..same engine mounts , use the flywheel & starter from cvh engine & hey presto = easy engine swap .

sorry to go on

cheers
andy
Old 11th March 2010, 10:59 PM

Ah thats fine mate, just wanted to make sure you gt it, iv been having some laptop trouble lol

Ok, that makes sense, i may have to take a week off week once its finished and carry out the swap, do you change the engine number on the reg doc, or not bother? Id like to do everything properly.

I like the idea of an easy swap, engines dont bother me, nor do electrics, ( have just finished fitting Minker management to my mates Sierra xr4x4 twin turbo with our own home made loom) so the swap doesnt worry me, that may be the way to go.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:04 PM

In my copy of IVA manual dated 27/03/2009 Page 8 of 13 in section Metered emissions 02B
The flow chart shows:
CAT1
is it a passenger car? = yes
vehicle effective date between 1/8/92 & 31/7/95? = yes
can you find an exact match in the analyser data base or the In-service Emissions book? = NO - because the haynes roadster isn't in the book!
Carry out a NON CAT test CO<=3.5% HC<= 1200ppm

I would call that a non cat test for any haynes roadster with an engine that was pre'95 so long as engine age could be proved - which should be no problem - just contact the engine manufacturer and they should be able to provide a letter confirming date.

HTH BV.

PS this is exactly the same flow chart as the one in my old SVA manual.

Last edited by Big Vern : 11th March 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
In my copy of IVA manual dated 27/03/2009 Page 8 of 13 in section Metered emissions 02B
The flow chart shows:
CAT1
is it a passenger car? = yes
vehicle effective date between 1/8/92 & 31/7/95? = yes
can you find an exact match in the analyser data base or the In-service Emissions book? = NO - because the haynes roadster isn't in the book!
Carry out a NON CAT test CO<=3.5% HC<= 1200ppm

I would call that a non cat test for any haynes roadster with an engine that was pre'95 so long as engine age could be proved - which should be no problem - just contact the engine manufacturer and they should be able to provide a letter confirming date.

HTH BV.
Now this is very interesting, so if i could prove the date of a Zetec, then as long as its before 95 it 'should' be on the non cat basis...
Old 11th March 2010, 11:07 PM

one thing, whats the 'vehicle effective date' mean?
Old 11th March 2010, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_16v View Post
( have just finished fitting Minker management to my mates Sierra xr4x4 twin turbo with our own home made loom) so the swap doesnt worry me, that may be the way to go.
Who's car was that then?

The Minker Management was a Zytec ECU.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 11th March 2010, 11:08 PM

like for any engine change in any car,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you change the engine after a car has been registered you have to inform DVLA of the new engine number as this then confirms if you stay in the same "road tax " class..... i,ll explain.....

hypothetical scenario....
if you had a car on the road that lets say had a 1300 cc engine & you change it to a 2.0ltr zetec then you must inform the dvla to ensure their records are kept up to date & you would be then charged the appropriate road tax for your new engine capacity,

build your car, enjoy it for a while ( 6 to 12 months), get used to driving a "7" style car , then think about upgrading your engine,

cheers
andy
Old 11th March 2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Who's car was that then?

The Minker Management was a Zytec ECU.

TT
Correct, his name is Stu, he is a member of the XR club, not regular though, its a lovely car, im redoing the loom soon, its been rebuilt by Alan Jeffries, big valve heads, sodium valves, lower comp bottom end, made 286 bhp and 270 lb ft torque with very conservative timing, just under 1 bar of boost, a restrictive exhaust and TT225 intercooler, we are hoping for over 300/300 once we have made a few more adjustments, i have just got a new cooler for it today actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
like for any engine change in any car,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you change the engine after a car has been registered you have to inform DVLA of the new engine number as this then confirms if you stay in the same "road tax " class..... i,ll explain.....

hypothetical scenario....
if you had a car on the road that lets say had a 1300 cc engine & you change it to a 2.0ltr zetec then you must inform the dvla to ensure their records are kept up to date & you would be then charged the appropriate road tax for your new engine capacity,

build your car, enjoy it for a while ( 6 to 12 months), get used to driving a "7" style car , then think about upgrading your engine,

cheers
andy
Cheers Andy thats what i thought
Old 11th March 2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Has alan managed to get the software for the Zytec to work on anything? I haev a 286 pc in the garage that may run it if he still has it

I am guessing it's the ECU from the Minker Spec estate that TurboShed Bought and sold the engine to Snoopaloopa...

That Cooler Definatly needs BINNNED!!!!

Do you know Dave Howard? He has good links to Geoff Kershaw, Dave has also been playing with Chineese GTxxxx Replcia turbos on his Minker.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 11th March 2010, 11:28 PM

Hi Russ,
The flow chart is the same as the old SVA chart and plenty of people have got pre'95 engines through without a cat. Just need to check that the manual hasn't been updated but I havn't heard about any updates.
Contact Ford HQ with the donor Vin number and engine number and they should be able to write back confirming age of the engine. That should be accepted as proof of age of engine by DVLA/VOSA.

HTH BV.