Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th February 2014, 01:52 PM

Default 4x4 build gear decision.

First this is not going to be a Haynes roadster build but i will be wanting to use the chassis to build on, it will be widend to give room for the T box. I am not after a light weight roadster, so this will not be for the Haynes purist in anyway, its a fun head scratching build i want to do, and fun at the end of it, ok if i get there lol.

I am getting the work shop ready for the long waited build, well the chassis area as its to small to build the car in there but the chassis will go in.

I have chatted in the past about this build and talked about using sierra 4x4 running gear along with a cossie V6 engine, what i am after now though as there are so many ways to go with this what other power plant would you recommend.
I would prefer a V engine as i just love the sound, i know the Colonge is heavy but cheap and good power for what you get, much the same a a rover V8, and in my budget as i am not loaded as this is a long term or wen eva its done project. i would be likley to get a non runner engine and box to build around then rebuild it when needed.

Jad IRS back end maybe?

so come on guys, i know theres lots of ideas and help out there, i want a list to go at then i can plan out from there.

cheers

wolly
Old 8th February 2014, 03:37 PM

Ah some one with some thing interesting.... first off ditch the idea of using the Sierra 4x4 gearbox as it's massive for what you want it for, you will also need to find some where for the front diff to go. I looked in to this about 3 years ago you'd better off using an Impreza engine/box as the transfer box and front diff are in the gearbox it's self. The other advantage of using the Impreza is that the boxer engine is very low and you can tuck it right under the nose cone.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 8th February 2014, 03:55 PM

OOoo, never thought of a impreza, any certain year to go for, i need to price up the parts aswell, also performance.

just seen there a flat four, never knew that.

Last edited by waynes world : 8th February 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 8th February 2014, 04:02 PM

Had a look at the gear box, the out puts look far back, or is it just me?
Old 8th February 2014, 04:05 PM

Audi/vw are fairly short from front pulley to drive shaft on fwd system so usable and g/ box as normal for rear diff.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 8th February 2014, 04:08 PM

Here, check out this guy.

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/

His is based on sierra running gear, he's done some funny rerouting of the front prop i believe to try and avoid losing too much foot room.

I can safely say from experience that the 4x4MT75 is BIG! And the front prop wants to go where your left leg is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 8th February 2014, 04:11 PM

The imprezza engine is 32.5 inches wide at the front, I'm not even going to bother going to my car to check the haynes nose cone as I know it ain't that wide, I think your problem is always going to be getting the engine far enough forward to have the front wheel diff in line with any 7 style cars front wheels but hey think outside the box and you never know.
Old 8th February 2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks flyerncl, i will have a look at those also.

I have seen his build before when on here asking about the ford running gear, yes they are big, i have fitted that before in a suzuki SJ, very tight aswell. Just good cheap units.
Old 8th February 2014, 04:15 PM

If you do choose 4x4 MT75 for some strange reason, I've got a spare one that can go for cheap!

Got all the shafts and hubs etc too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 8th February 2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
The imprezza engine is 32.5 inches wide at the front, I'm not even going to bother going to my car to check the haynes nose cone as I know it ain't that wide, I think your problem is always going to be getting the engine far enough forward to have the front wheel diff in line with any 7 style cars front wheels but hey think outside the box and you never know.
Just been looking at he cars, i think it would go ok, and as said i will just be using the Haynes chassis as a base then modify it to suit, widen, lengthen etc, and the body will be made to suit the rolling frame/chassis, nose cone and body is the least problem, they can be made wider etc etc with a bit of fibreglass, but my idea si to go for a carbon fibre body, i just love the look of it, i just made a dash for my Melso with it