Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th May 2011, 09:07 PM

Default A couple of quick questions for a little help please!

Evening All,

Firstly I apologise for the questions, they will probably be very amateurish. I have tried to search for the answers but as I don't what what these things are I'm very limited in search terms!
The donor in question is a K reg Sierra LX 2.0 DOHC with efi.
Basically, this morning I started to tidy the loom in the engine bay area and relabel any items that were only masking tape labelled while removing some bits and bobs. I've managed to get all the wires sorted so that they are at the bulkhead but I have come across a couple of things I'd like identified/named if thats possible please?
1) I found one connector that had not been labelled as it was removed and wondered if anyone could shed some light? It is located at the back of the engine by at the bulkhead. It exits the group of wires very close to the injectors connector but from the other cluster of wires. There don't seem to be any other wires in the area so should be reasonably easy to identify. As its the only one unmarked it shouldn't pose any problems if it cant be identified though.

2) I came across a couple of things that I'm unsure of what they are. These are located behind/under the MAP sensor. I'm guessing that the back one is a grounding circuit (?) that goes into the cabin. It is duplicated not the nearside in the engine bay as well. The front one I am completely unsure of.

3)Does anyone have any good tips on removing the loom? Is it best to pull the inside out or the outs in for example? Ive only got as far as the engine bay but this is pretty much ready to pull through if needed. How does the ecu disconnect? Is it a/a few connector(s) like a more complicated head unit or have i got the wrong impression? Can anyone tell me how to access the the fusebox fixings? I'm guessing it accessible from inside the car?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I have gone this far with a car (replacing a head gasket was probably the furthest before this), but I want to make sure I'm doing everything as well as possible, especially the electrics! I think I'm doing pretty well so far though i think, and at the very least I'm enjoying myself tremendously!

Thanks in advance guys

Ash
Old 15th May 2011, 09:10 PM

sorry guys, not sure why the pics didn't work? used flickr urls after using the add image button? ill post links if thats ok:
the first http://www.flickr.com/photos/6297849...n/photostream/
the second
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62978491@N08/5722761557/
Old 15th May 2011, 09:20 PM

I popped the loom out from the inside...it helps to set about the area of fuse box with an angle grinder to enlarge the hole...then the whole lot will pull through...the ecu has a 10mm bolt through the connector which needs undone to allow it to come out...cant help with your connector but doubt it will stop anything from running possibly fuel rail temp sender ? but dont take that as gospel..the other part in the second pick is tied into the same part of the loom as the ignition amplifier have a look at this site http://www.deepfolly.co.uk/index.html its a good ref for using the DOHC efi setup
Old 15th May 2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Andy.
The angle grinder sounds like fun! I did see the bolt on the ecu, but wasn't sure if it was just to ensure the secureness of the connector or the connector itself if that makes sense. Thats a great help knowing i can unbolt that without the wiring springing out everywhere and that I don't need to try and identify all the wires going in!
So that wire (the front connector i think you're talking about) can just be screwed to the chassis in a reasonable place later then? Thanks for the link, I've been browsing occasionally already but it looks like I'm going to need a good sit down and read through!
Does anybody know about the back connector in the second picture? Its the same on the near side too, am I right in thinking this is just some grounding wires?
I agree about the unlabelled connector, as I said, it should be easy to identify later as it is the only one not labelled up.

Thanks again

Ash
Old 15th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Don't ground anything that does not have an eyelet tag.

The ecu 60 pin is a 10mm bold and pushes throught the bulkhead and connects to three plugs behind the battery.

Don't angle grind near the fuse box, just unclip everything and it will pull out fine. ( i swapped looms on a sierra in 2hrs. )

The thing on the drivers inner wing is the mixture adjuster.

If you remind me I will have a look for that blue connector, it does not ring a bell at present. I will look at my loom. If that fails give me the colour codes and I will reference the bible.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 15th May 2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks twin, some useful advice there. What made you say don't ground anything without an eyelet? Are you referring to the rear connector I'm asking about? I'm just wondering if that is a part of a ground circuit taking ground wires through to the cabin from the engine bay. Iirc the cables are brown and black on both the off and near side.
So with the ecu it would be easier to unclip the the connectors and push them through?
Mixture adjuster...check
Don't forget the blue connector (only joking, no rush). When you say the bible, are you referring to Haynes manual or a Ford book?
And I will angle grind around the fuse box....after I've removed it - just for fun! But seriously, when you say unclip everything, do you mean from underneath the fuse box itself? I'm assuming there are some bolts/screws holding it in place - are these accessible from inside the drivers footwell?

Thank you so much, and sorry for more questions but you have already been a great help!

Ash
Old 15th May 2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

The bible is the ford diagrams.

The fusebox is held in by 4 nuts, 8mm or 10mm i forget, but if you unclip the looms and pull them back the whole lot comes out through the fusbox hole. the engine bay lamp loom has to be pushed into the car first.

the ecu plug pushes though the bulkhead towords the engine bay, it feels like it won't but it does.

sierras have very few earths, all are on crimped eylets and should be brown from memory and located... Battery, headlamp panel left, headlamp panel right, kick panel left , kick panel right, steering column.

I am trying to place the 2 pin connctor in my mind.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 15th May 2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

I sit on the body loom rather than the engine loom. and the wires one black and one green.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 16th May 2011, 09:59 AM

Its on the loom that is not the one with the injectors, so I'm guessing yes, it's the body loom. However I had a quick look this morning and the wires are blue/brown and red/brown?
The fusebox thing makes sense and I'm sure I'll be ok with the ecu, thanks.
The cables I'm talking about aren't actually attached to the body, rathe go through as you can see in the pic. The one just behind the mixture adjuster. There is another exactly the same going through the panel in an identical position on the other side of the car?

Thanks
Ash
Old 16th May 2011, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

ahhh,

the one going through the inner wing is the side repeater lamp.

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques