Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2013, 01:08 PM

Smile Pinto position

Hey guys

After some tips on lining the engine up ready to fab some mounts. its a pinto on a type 9

Ive the engine on the floor with its shortened sump, the chassis on 25mm box section. got a snug fitting tube over the output of the gearbox and to the diff as below

The drive train is as far back as poss without fouling the clutch forks, connectors etc and the cylinder head is about 45mm from the first chassis tube. if i went in any further the bell housing will be too close to the chassis

Whats the best way to make sure the output is true with the diff, horizontally and vertically? but it doesn't want to be true does it the prop will wear prematurely?

This bit is scaring me i've never done anything like it before, so all advice thoughts most welcome

Will
Old 24th August 2013, 01:29 PM

Don't worry about mis-alignment as the two uj's will cancel any out and they are designed to allow for far greater angle of operation than we will ever come across with a roadster
Old 24th August 2013, 10:54 PM

All you have to ensure is that the gearbox output shaft and the diff input axis are parallel, they don't have to coincide. Actually, I've read that if the UJs are not moving a bit, they wear out faster as the pressure is always in the same spot.
Old 26th August 2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the input guys, as i am the output of the g/box and the input to the diff are parallel.

Ive read on locostbuilders if your diff is perfectly straight then you get brinelling of the joints, i doubt i'm that accurate but would you purposely build in an offset e.g shim the engine up? or am i worrying to much about nothing?