Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd October 2011, 01:10 AM

Default Front Susp Bracket assy

Hi everybody,
As it is not question of shock absorber lengths any more, I open a new thread, following the previous one :
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...6901#post66901
To move the upper front bracket out, an assembly has to be done, a bit like on the Robin Hood (thanks Phil for the tip !).
As MarkB advised, this assembly will have to be well braced.
I've had theoretically designed an assembly, and I'd like feed backs from you guys, any opinion is welcome.
See the "comic strip" on the modified post, "Front Suspension" section (just after the small intro) on my blog :
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...s-to-meet.html
Thank you.

PS : To check the clearance for the rear suspension, I still need the distance between the 2 inside edges of the rear wheels on a Haynes Roadster, Sierra donor, rear drums, 15'' Ford wheels (ET38). If anyone can help, thanks in advance
RearWheelsDist.png
Old 22nd October 2011, 09:48 AM

hi, my name is samy & i´m also building the roadster in sweden & have already done the sfro 1 . the examiner said the same thing to me about the angles on the coilovers ..... I think the sfro guidelines are very general & cosevative . 3d cad programs & simulation have come a long way & are what any car company in the world use to disign & test function & perormance (not some old rule of thum).No 2 cars or roadsters are the same! what works for one may not work so well for another...... sfro says that the super seven is the most popular car built in sweden & yet there is only 2 pages in the book about the history of super seven!!! So after a long discusion with my tester we desided that i build per the book & it will be up to him to juge how the car handels when its done . I hope it handels as well as people on the forum have said . Also janne E has built the roadster in sweden per the book & his car is now on the road & thats great news,Congratulation Janne, I hope that opens the doors for others building the roadster in sweden.
This has also been talked about alot on Locost sweden & most builders agree its unnesecary to cange or modify the suspension on the roadster,I hope sfro will take a closer look at this as more & more builders are going for the Hayne roadster in sweden.

cheers
samy
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:43 PM

Sammy, thank you very much for your comment.
Yes, different inspectors, different results. You are the second one I know who passed SFRO1 with a 45° shock absorber angle. I know other guys who have had a problem with that. I have been in contact with JanneE (yes, his car is beautiful), and even him told me that if he had to rebuild a car now, he would change the angle to a more vertical one. But as you say, changing the design of one element on a car who has been designed as a whole thing can be bad. On another hand, SFRO is right : technically, an angle of 30° is better than 45°, the shock absorbers work better. So, it is hard to make a choice about that. I'm still thinking...
Thank you for the enlightenments and sharing your experience.
Sylvain
Old 24th October 2011, 08:18 PM

Hi Sylvain, I hope I dont come across as a know it all , that is not at all me.
My point is only that from what I´ve been told by people on this forum & many threads I´ve read on other forums is that this setup works 100% ,can it be changed ,can it be made better? maybe. But why ? for SFRO ? Not everyone building this car is an enjineer, thats why i got the book which I think is very well made by people who know what they´re doing .Agree?
Sfro´s recomendations are general & rule of thum , I told my examener with all do respect sfro has alot of experience & knowlege but it is but a drop in a bucket to what is out there on the internet .
Cheers, Samy
Old 24th October 2011, 10:10 PM

You guys amaze me with your grasp of the english language.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 25th October 2011, 07:12 PM

Thank you Bob, always nice to hear !

Samy, you absolutely don't sound like a know it all, and your mind about this problem is more than welcome and among others, helped me a lot. I really appreciate.
My point was not to say the original set up doesn't work 100%, or can be improved, it was more about the theory. An yes, we are not engineers (and especially me : I absolutely don't pretend being one !), and that is the reason why we chose the book.
I told you I was still thinking a lot about what I'm gonna do. Well finally I can say that I had a lot of fun and it was extremely interesting to try to design this front upper bracket extension, and I would like to address a big thank to all who helped, especially Phil (Talonmotorsport) and Mike (TSMLocost) who really guided me. I'm now done with the final design, soon available on my blog, but...
... but I took my decision to finally do the suspension as per the book (45° angle), as you did, as JanneE, Stefan, and so on did. Hopefully, within the time I take SFRO first inspection, an agreement will have be found between the inspectors. And if I really have to change the suspension set up, it will not be that big, and at least, the design of the extension is ready to be realized for real ! I also learned a lot doing this work, so all of this is absolutely not in vain
I keep you updated.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Sylain.