Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th June 2017, 11:57 PM

Default Handbrake MX5 hubs

Would anyone be so kind to show me some clear pictures of how you have routed and secures the handbrake cables. I have a TMXR Chassis with diff cage. I have bent the brackets on the calipers to what I feel is workable but the cable is rubbing on the chassis in multiple places.

Actual cost so far = Have chosen to stop counting incase I incriminate myself -
Cost ive told the wife = A hell of a lot less than I have spent. -
Old 12th June 2017, 10:34 PM

This is a picture of how I routed my cables, I haven't got one of the brackets, but I made new ones on quite a tight angle to get them away from the bulkhead. I just bent some flat bar which I slotted for the cable, I also welded plates across the tight angle to give strength when the hand brake is pulled on. It works ok but only just went through the IVA, you need to set the caliper just right & get them bedded in, my examiner took my car into the car park & drove it round with the hand brake on to get some heat into them! They passed. You are allowed a little drag on the brakes! It's well worth having a bit of drag on them. There is an adjustment screw on the inside face of the caliper, you need to use these to get the piston sitting in the right place. Hope this helps.
Neil
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136904.../shares/T2Sqkr

Last edited by Cropper : 12th June 2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12th June 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
This is a picture of how I routed my cables, I haven't got one of the brackets, but I made new ones on quite a tight angle to get them away from the bulkhead. I just bent some flat bar which I slotted for the cable, I also welded plates across the tight angle to give strength when the hand brake is pulled on. It works ok but only just went through the IVA, you need to set the caliper just right & get them bedded in, my examiner took my car into the car park & drove it round with the hand brake on to get some heat into them! They passed. You are allowed a little drag on the brakes! It's well worth having a bit of drag on them. There is an adjustment screw on the inside face of the caliper, you need to use these to get the piston sitting in the right place. Hope this helps.
Neil
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136904.../shares/T2Sqkr
Thanks for that, I've managed to get my brackets bent and I'm realistically happy with them, found the adjuster and going to tweek it once the pipes and fluid is in. I only have to get the cable secured now

Actual cost so far = Have chosen to stop counting incase I incriminate myself -
Cost ive told the wife = A hell of a lot less than I have spent. -