Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th February 2013, 09:26 AM

Default Reserve/second fuel tank

Having just bought a very neat and tidy looking tank from a fellow builder I am already thinking of increasing range!

Has anyone used a 'second tank' setup - and if so - how has it been done? I seem to recall Phil (Talon) posted on here about the idea - but can't find the thread...?

I'm thinking that a second tank is preferrable to a larger tank as I would only use it for touring, and the empty tank was amazingly light...! I also like the idea of twin filler caps, like the old Minis :-D
Old 13th February 2013, 11:28 PM

What I would like try is find a neat way to fix a standard 20 l jerry can in the space beside the main tank.
Old 14th February 2013, 09:11 AM

Do you run out of squirt often then? If you know that your car has a range of 100-120 miles and your going to do a long run, would you not start thinking about finding fuel when you had 1/4 of a tank left? I've sat here for past 30 mins trying to come up with a fancy plumbing solution using 2-3 tanks and my wife just said 'every body has smart phones google petrol stations' which thinking about is a lot simpler.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 14th February 2013, 09:17 AM

You could fit a bigger tank and only 1/2 fill it most of the time, Fill it up for long runs.

Cheers
Stot
Old 14th February 2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Do you run out of squirt often then? If you know that your car has a range of 100-120 miles and your going to do a long run, would you not start thinking about finding fuel when you had 1/4 of a tank
I left cornwall one night and trollied down the a303 thinking I would find a service station open, I was nearly home before I found something open, that very nearly ended with me camping out That was well over 100 miles with no service stations open. I reckon fit the biggest tank possible and part fill it.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 14th February 2013, 09:35 AM

OK - here's my solution

Version I: Bigger - special shape fuel tank - then you can fill half of it...
You can make it by welding two separate tanks with few holes in bottom of upper tank/top of bottom tank

Version II:
Two separate tanks connected with fuel lines (system of communicating vessels). When you fit cut-off valves you can close connection and use only one tank. You need only one filler pipe and output - from smaller tank... and if you put fuel level sensor in smaller tank it will show correctly even with bigger tank "open"

EDIT:
v2 attachment include two-in-one Version II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel tank.JPG (15.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg fuel tank v2.JPG (14.7 KB, 23 views)

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe

Last edited by loony : 14th February 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 14th February 2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Do you run out of squirt often then?
Well, no is the short answer as my car is still in the early stages of being built!

Initially I had considered just a secondary tank, with a tap. I.e. main tank goes low, pull over, flick the tap and let the secondary tank empty into the main one, hey presto - more range.

Thinking it through - there are plenty of pitfalls - i'm mainly thinking that if I get the tank sizes/heights wrong gravity will cause overflows if it isn't carefully thought through, but this will limit the size of the secondary tank, negating it's effectiveness.....

Mainly I am thinking that when it's built and I cruise down to the French Riviera in it I won't want to stop every 150 miles. Perhaps i'll have a different opinion once i've driven one!!
Old 15th February 2013, 07:10 AM

Jag long range option had pumps and switches you couks switch between or for balancing tanks
You could run top and bottom balance pipes with tap on the bottom for filling, close when both full
Then seperate fuel pumps to a swirl pot that way you can switch tanks on the fly