Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How did you find your donor?
Ebay 13 41.94%
Gumtree 3 9.68%
Newspaper 2 6.45%
Family Member 2 6.45%
Other 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th July 2011, 05:39 PM

Default How did you find your donor?

Hello all just like to say its a pleasure to be apart of these forums and theres some very nice looking cars, But i have a question to ask.

How did you find your donor? ive been looking for about a week and i am struggling to find somthing within my budget so far ive only been able to find fully MOT'd Cars with high price tags considering i will butcher the car seems like aibt of a waste to buy a complete car. And any scrapy ive spoken to wants to charge allmost the same price as a MOT'd car atlest with the MOT'd car i could make some £ back.

So i Thought id start this post to see how you guys find your donors and if theres any advice you can give? Its my 1st time handling such a large project but thats part of the fun, but whats not fun is an empty work bay and all brand new shiny tools having no marks on them, the other tools will start to get jealous.

So if you could provide any help it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks LTN.
Old 6th July 2011, 06:17 PM

hiya Ltn.....first of all welcome to the forum a week is a very very short time to be looking for a donor, best to try and spread it out while you can be getting on with other stuff like chassis building and of course a build table, produce your own cp kit etc etc there is loads of "other" things you could be doing pertanant to the build, as for sourcing a donor quickly ...try Ebay, Gumtree, Pistonheads, Preloved there are loads of online sites to check, then there is your local adtrader mags and Autotrader .....when out driving keep an eye out for neglected cars sitting with grass growing all around them (some times can be had for free) ask friends and familly to put the feelers out....if you have done all this and had no joy then give up and get the meccano or lego set out and start from there
seriously be patient, one will crop up.... just get on with the "other stuff"
Old 6th July 2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
hiya Ltn.....first of all welcome to the forum a week is a very very short time to be looking for a donor, best to try and spread it out while you can be getting on with other stuff like chassis building and of course a build table, produce your own cp kit etc etc there is loads of "other" things you could be doing pertanant to the build, as for sourcing a donor quickly ...try Ebay, Gumtree, Pistonheads, Preloved there are loads of online sites to check, then there is your local adtrader mags and Autotrader .....when out driving keep an eye out for neglected cars sitting with grass growing all around them (some times can be had for free) ask friends and familly to put the feelers out....if you have done all this and had no joy then give up and get the meccano or lego set out and start from there
seriously be patient, one will crop up.... just get on with the "other stuff"
Or use an mx5 donor there's loads more of them about and if you sell enough bits from it, it will cost you nothing!
Old 6th July 2011, 07:56 PM

I got a 1.6 sierra from Ebay for 250. it was mint condition, ill regret ripping it apart one day considering im probably not going to use the 1600 pinto.

Maybe worth not bothering with a single donor and buy the parts as you need them. So you might get a Q plate, no big problem.

Will
Old 7th July 2011, 08:48 AM

I got mine via autotrader. I needed something mot'd as I had no means to get one home so wanted to be able to drive it home. I paid £500 for it but when you consider buying something for £100-£200 then having to buy / fit towing equipment to your daily driver you soon end up around the £500 mark.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:24 AM

I got mine from autotrader for £400

IVA passed 20 June 2017
Flickr Album
Old 8th July 2011, 06:49 AM

I asked the bloke who parked next to me this morning if he wanted to sell his MX5, and he said yes. Boom!!! One MX5 ready to be parted out. $1,000 Aussie (350 pounds). Cant wait to start pulling it to pieces.
Old 8th July 2011, 07:57 PM

I got mine out the blue adtrader paper. £500 with MOT and drove it home. Even considered driving it on the road for a while but that didnt last long.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:11 PM

Just found my donor a MX5 for 475, barter'd the guy down from 700. should be here tomorrow afternoon. Found Via Gumtree of all things.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:32 PM

Nice one!
Good to see another MX5 being used