Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th July 2018, 02:26 PM

Quick question about the wiring for my mk1 mx5 alternator.

It has 3 wires, one the main feed to the battery and two others in a multi plug.
I understand one will be a permanent 12v feed for the exciter circuit but the other?

I found this picture.

Which includes a warning lamp however my digi dash can monitor its own power supply and put the light on at any voltage I determine so I wouldn't need that.

So is it fair to say, assuming I've understood the picture I need two 12v inputs (one switched with ignition and the obvious main power output?
Old 9th July 2018, 02:32 PM

Another problem if someone could take a look please.

The CBS fuse/relay module won't let me supply the hazard light relay with 12v when ign is off with my ignition switch config.

Will the (crude) diagram below work? I have it wired nearly this way at the moment except the hazard relay is on the same power source as the regular indicator relay and there is no diode.

I can make a direct to battery 12v supply to the relay without issue but what I don't want is that then somehow powering up the rest of the electrics via the indicator circuit if I were to say operate the hazard switch with the indicator switch engaged to either side hence the diode.

Old 9th July 2018, 06:24 PM

Are you using the mx5 flasher unit?.
The original flasher is fed from two separate fuses, hazard fuse which is hot at all times and meter fuse which is hot in start and run.
Regards Mick.
Old 9th July 2018, 06:30 PM

No I’m using my own loom and a fuse/relay board from car builders solutions. I need to reconfigure it thoughwith a separate permanent feed for the hazards but want to be sure my suggestion above is correct.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:19 PM

I can't read your writing on your diagram.
Have you googled flasher unit circuits and hazard switches? I think that you have to supply most hazard switches from both a permanent and a switched with ignition supply, the switch is fed via the ignition supply when off which feeds straight through to the indicators and when the hazard switch is turned on it isolates that supply and feeds via the permanent one if that makes any sense.
Regards Mick.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:28 PM

The module https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/...-wiring-module has two simple flasher relays with a single feed and output each. One is for the indicators and the other for the hazard function. One is fed by a hot when ign is on feed and the other for the hazards I need to rig up with a direct to battery feed but I need to do that without energising the rest of the circuits hence the crude diagram. I’m awaretypical hazard switches and relays can be much more complex than this but this is what I have.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:16 PM

I built a diffuser.

And went for some better wheels. My car was too low wit the 185/6/13 tyres.

I have the hazards workng along wth all the other body electrics. I think I know what to do with the excter wire now which I'll get to. Te megasquirt is nearly sorted too but atm i have no crank signal. I'm just waiting for osme resistors to arrive so I can add a pullup to the crank sensors signal wire. opefully that'll get iti working.
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:30 PM

Well, it’s running! It’s also moved twice, yes TWICE under its own steam

It’s a crude configuration without any o2 sensor right now but at least I no longer have to keep pushing the bugger when I want to turn it around. I’ve also finished the rear cover using a black mohair fabric. Sewing isn’t as much fun as welding but I’ve now popped my sewing machine cherry.
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:48 PM

Another milestone I bet that's a wicked feeling something I cant wait for.

Have you got rubber on them new rims yet? any pics to share?

Gary
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:35 PM

Yeah, it was a good feeling but the end still feels like a million hours away!

No pics at the moment as it looks no different really. I do have tyres now, some Nankang NS2-R’s which will do the job nicely. I don’t think my 1.6 will challenge them much.

I was reworking the wing brackets today and I’m doing so needed to tack them together in place. Turns out my brake hose was the path of least resistance between torch and ground so that went up in smoke!!!! You live and learn.... hopefully voucht still makes them so I can get a replacement.