Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th April 2014, 06:06 AM

Default Instrument cluster connector

Hi,
I'm keeping the original instrument cluster from my donor (Sierra 2.0i DOHC 1992), but the previous owner of this car just made a big mess of the connector to this cluster. Cables there have been cut, soldered, re-cut, got connector crimped on some of them, added a long "chocolate block" connector, all of this very close to the cluster's connector which does not allow me to re-cut and make nice and clean connections as I want to do. It is a proper mess, and I have problem reconnecting everything correctly. The best think for me would be to change this connector. Do you guys know where I can get hold of a connector with a sufficient length of cable (in order to be able to re-connect it nicely to my loom) in the UK? Or perhaps one of you who didn't keep the original instrument cluster from his Sierra donor and could sell me the connector from his original loom?
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:36 AM

Can you upload or send a photo of your instrument cluster plug. How much cable do you require on the end of the plug? I still have my old clocks and plug, but it was from a XR4x4 so may not be the same??
Old 16th April 2014, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Here are some pictures of the cluster and the connector (and its mess). The
picture of the connector itself is blur, sorry about that, but we can see it is a 12 pins. I would need 10cm of cable, or even less, as long as I have enough room to solder or connect in some other way to my loom.

Was your engine a 2.0i DOHC? In that case it should be OK.

Actually, I might be interested in buying the complete cluster, as mine is not a very good shape either (as you can see on the picture of the back side, the guy soldered an earth cable, which made the plastic melt, it's just pig work!)

So just let me know!

Thanks a lot.

IMG_9140 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

IMG_9141 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

IMG_9143 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

IMG_9144 par Voucht71, sur Flickr
Old 16th April 2014, 02:37 PM

Somewhere on the forum there is a pinout of the connector that might help Slyvain,dont know where but sure it's on here.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 16th April 2014, 05:20 PM

Thanks for that Paul,
I had a go with the forum's search engine, and the only thing I could find is this thread.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...hlight=cluster

Is it the one you were thinking about? If it is, unfortunately it is for a CVH, and for what I can see, the order of the pins is different from my DOHC cluster.

Thanks anyway for the input
Old 16th April 2014, 08:11 PM

My clocks seem to be different, I don't have a photo of the connector, but will dig it out at the weekend. I also machined the housing down

Last edited by Spikehaus : 16th April 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 16th April 2014, 11:16 PM

I have the clocks and connector from my donor (1.8 cvh) you are welcome to them if you want them, i am using an Acewell dash.

Ken
Old 17th April 2014, 12:37 AM

My Sierra had a cluster without a tach. I got one with a tach for ~5 quid, but unfortunately the plug was different. My 'new' cluster seems to be exactly the same as yours. What I did is figure out what each wire on the cluster does (pretty obvious), carefully solder wires to the cluster with another multiplug from my Mondeo loom. Need help figuring out the wires?

Last edited by alga : 17th April 2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 17th April 2014, 09:12 AM

Hi,
Spikehaus, I think I should not take your cluster, it looks actually too different from mine, and the risk is that cables doesn't match, and I get even more headaches! But thank you for the help and the pictures. If you find the connector though, I am still interested, if Ken's CVH one (see bellow) is not OK.

Ken, I know that the CVH cluster is different from the DOHC one, but I can use the connector (if you make sure it is a 12 pin one), if you don't mind sending it to me (I'll pay for it and the shipment of course). Please PM me if you can send it quickly. I will resolder the cables in the right sequence to my loom according to the order on my cluster. I'm going to buying a second hand cluster, exactly the same as mine, because I don't trust it.

Alga, I think I figured out what each cable is for with the Help of the Sierra Haynes manual, but if you already wrote it down somewhere and it is not a hassle for you to do it (I mean, I don't want you to look behind your dash or undo your cluster just for me), and it is easy for you to share, I can check with your sequence. Actually, using the UK Haynes manual, I'm a bit concern by the fact that the cable order on RHD clusters might be different than on LHD ones, when I see, for example, that the tacho and the speedo are reversed on RHD clusters if your compare to LHD clusters.

Thanks for the help
Old 17th April 2014, 12:47 PM

Yes that one Sylvain.

You may want to factor kmh and mph into this as may be problem too

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.