Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th August 2011, 06:22 PM

Default Haynes Single Seater Project - SSC and Chris Gibbs

Good evening fellow builders,

I'm sure that most of are aware that the Chris Gibb's latest project "Build Your Own Single Seater on a Budget", the next generation from the Haynes Roadster project, has been very quiet for the previous 18 months. This has primarily been due to the health of Chris and not being in a position to continue / advance the project. Firstly though, on a personal note, I and am sure plenty of others wish Chris a good recovery through these hard times. Having met with Chris on many occasions we have a lot of respect for Chris and for the work he has done for the Roadster and other projects, we do owe him a lot.

So on with the Single Seater, I am finally in a position to announce the fact that Saturn are about to enter a formal agreement with Haynes to take over the Single Seater build from Chris to complete the car, IVA it and completion the manuscript for the build guide / book. The work will follow Chris's design using the bodywork completed by Saturn with the copyright and design remaining with Chris - which it certainly should be. Saturn will be credited with completion of the car and manual. Work will begin by the end of next week with a timescale agreed with Haynes to be able to have the book published and on the shelves by early next year. Saturn will then be able to offer for sale build components / bodywork as required to other builders following the publication of the book. Let's just hope we can do Chris proud with the completion of his beloved project, I'm sure it will be so.

Following the completion of the single seater project we are also entering talks with Haynes to provide a complete re-write of the Roadster manual to provide a new design and manual based on a new roadster style car based on the Mx-5 as donor car. This will not be a direct copy of the Sierra Roadster but something a little different based on Mx5 as donor. Realistically this is a while down the line but will be an exciting project. This has been the main reason why Saturn's own build guide for the Mx-5 donor was delayed by a few months as we needed to agree the way forward with both the Single Seater and Mx-5 projects.

Hard work ahead but it should all be well worth it............Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 12th August 2011, 06:35 PM

Firstly sorry to hear of Chris's ill health.

Secondly I don't think the continuation of the project could be better hands, go Spud.

J
Old 12th August 2011, 06:40 PM

Well done Andy, im sure you will do a good job and haynes obviously think the same or you wouldnt have the project

You are going to be mega busy over the next few months.....................................

You know where i am when you start having a nervous breakdown and need a hand
Old 12th August 2011, 06:41 PM

Default Single Seater

May i be one of the first to congratulate you on taking on the completion of the dream Chris had. Next time you speak with Chris please wish him well on behalf of all on this forum.

Good luck Andrew.
Old 12th August 2011, 07:07 PM

First of all I am sorry to hear of Chris' ill health, never had the pleasure myself but if he is as friendly as the rest of the guys on here then I am sure he is a gent!

However it is great news that the single seater is now going to continue to a point where we can all get the opportunity to build another great car (if I ever finish this one!)

It is also good to here Saturn growing as a company, as we will get great customer support and the help we need to keep the self build philosiphy going!
Old 12th August 2011, 07:36 PM

Well done Andy, thats great news for the Single Seater project and a revised "Roadster Mx5 " build book.
Like others have said...its great that Saturn Sports Cars is taking these projects forward in conjunction with Haynes themselves, well done and congratulations to you and Saturn Sports Cars.

Likewise as others have said....Wishing Chris a speedy return to health, I,m sure we all wish him well, its with thanks to Chris that we,re here on this forum enjoying building our cars....get well soon Chris.

Cheers
andy
Old 12th August 2011, 07:37 PM

Needless to say, we all wish Chris the best with regards to his health and I,m sure he could not have put his single seater project in better hands than Saturn
You will just have to pull the other nine fingers out now Andy I'll fetch some spinach down next time I'm around
Old 12th August 2011, 09:51 PM

Id just like to add my voice to those wishing Chris all the best and the same to Andy and Saturn. Im sure it will all work out for the best.

Roadster No 2 build

Cost to Date : £93

** New Blog @ http://carlsroadster2.blogspot.com **
Old 12th August 2011, 09:52 PM

Wow thats great news spud interesting times ahead hard work and great ethics saying off
Old 12th August 2011, 10:06 PM

again not met chris personally but really apreciate his work. wish him a speedy recovery.

and congrats to u spud it was a massive step to move into the market and establish yourself as a business. and steps like this need alot of hard work but with your brilliant customer service , satisfaction and new developments you wont go wrong.