Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th August 2012, 09:20 PM

Default Anodizing

Has anyone had a go at anodizing parts, and if so what is involved. Am wondering how much time it takes what is needed etc.

Arfon
Old 18th August 2012, 02:09 AM

K4KEV is your man for that.He has made some mushrooms and anodised them and mighty good they looked too.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:23 AM

I quite fancy looking into doing it my-self as I already do a bit of powder coating so I think it would be quite nice to be able to do anodixing along side it

Arfon
Old 18th August 2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Has anyone had a go at anodizing parts, and if so what is involved. Am wondering how much time it takes what is needed etc.
I had a go at it and quite pleased with the results....

Here is the link where I tell and show how I went about it: http://www.locost.co.za/forum/viewto...=2295&start=15

Wynand
http://5psi.net
Old 18th August 2012, 09:33 AM

I meant K4KEV is probably the best to get some advice/info from in regard to doing it yourself as he's been there and done it etc.
Old 18th August 2012, 10:10 AM

here is how i went about it

Sulphuric Acid is your electrolyte AAA always add acid to de-ionised or distilled water I used battery acid at around 15-20 percent with water ....start with lower value.... battery acid is already diluted as is
the aluminium is your anode and lead sheeting (same or more surface area as anode) as the cathode. use a largish container as your bath...I use around 2litres.... aluminium rods and wire are my hangers/conductors if it is new aluminium make sure it is very very clean (polished or not ) I use acetone as a final clean before anodising ....when finished, it will look slightly dull ...take out and clean with de ionised or distilled water then put in a dye bath (I use commercially available dye)... leave in for however long you want or whatever depth of colour you want which is a trial and error thing.... then you put in a pan of hot water on the simmer to seal the anodised layer again it is down to preference but I often use a small steam cleaner to seal. by the way you must not let the anodising bath get too hot because that will self seal before colouring stage I would say less than hand hot.... less than 50 C'.
you will need a power source ....a 12 volt battery charger with a good current rating (around 10amps)
If it is an already anodised part then you have to suspend item in a bath of caustic soda (which is fun to watch as it is vigorous and quick) to remove the original anodised layer then prep as above.....think I have covered everthing there ... google DIY anodising ....there are lots of informative sites.

Last edited by K4KEV : 18th August 2012 at 10:22 AM.