Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste W View Post
I would be fitting a more bulbous side repeater onto the side of the scuttle panel rather than at the rear. Obviously can be changed in the future.

something like this

will look better in the long run and will fulfill the iva requirements
Your right, I was thinking I'd fit them in the dash panel in this location and then later fit them were I want them on the side of the car after the IVA and use a small grommet to fill in the old hole in the dash. Or not even bother and just delete them entirely. I like the way my car looks I don't want anything else on the side of it.

I hate the IVA man!!!
Old 29th July 2014, 10:44 AM

Are you sure that you can see the side repeater from the rear. I managed to see it 5deg to the side but not 5deg down. The arch was in the way. Even though you would see the rear indicator.
I put mine in the rear arch (the small led ones from bolt on bits) I tapped it into the rear lights.
If you do this it must be a max of 2600mm from the front.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste W View Post
I would be fitting a more bulbous side repeater onto the side of the scuttle panel rather than at the rear. Obviously can be changed in the future.

something like this

will look better in the long run and will fulfill the iva requirements
You need to double check the edges on these indicators. They are what I had and failed the 2.5mm radius, I ended up filing them down and polishing them to get through the IVA.

I mentioned when I was there that many OEMs have items on their cars that would never pass the IVA and he pointed out that although thats true they will test their cars to destruction and 'prove' that the item wont cause harm. Not sure I want to do that with my one off.

Cheers
Stot
Old 29th July 2014, 02:29 PM

Has anyone who has been through an IVA actually seen the IVA man test, with measuring equipment, this 5deg behind and below rule for a side repeater? I know that Ajay and spikehaus have passed with side repeaters mounted on the side of the scuttle.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
Are you sure that you can see the side repeater from the rear. I managed to see it 5deg to the side but not 5deg down. The arch was in the way. Even though you would see the rear indicator.
I put mine in the rear arch (the small led ones from bolt on bits) I tapped it into the rear lights.
If you do this it must be a max of 2600mm from the front.
Yep tested it with string, an iPhone inclinometer and a bit of trigonometry , remember you only need to be able to see 50% mind. I'll test it again though!
Old 29th July 2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Has anyone who has been through an IVA actually seen the IVA man test, with measuring equipment, this 5deg behind and below rule for a side repeater? I know that Ajay and spikehaus have passed with side repeaters mounted on the side of the scuttle.
My IVA man didn't measure it explicitly, but he did squat down at the rear of the car to look at them from approximately 5deg out / 5deg down.
I suspect he would have got some equipment out if he was in any doubt.
He also said he commonly fails people for putting them on the scuttle.

I personally wouldn't risk mounting it somewhere you know it would fail - you'd be kicking yourself if that was the only thing you failed on!
Old 29th July 2014, 10:41 PM

My iva man didn't measure but did have a good look.
To start with I didn't like the idea of having them in the arches but I think I prefer them now. They are unobtrusive and keeps the scuttle looking clean.

I used these without the rubber grommet. They are a tight fit but also held in with tiger seal and then in split conduit stuck to the inside of the arch lip.

I also used a pair of superseal connectors so I can take the arch off if I need to.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:19 PM

MMmmm. OK, one last try before I give in and put those micro led ones on the rear arches.

Going to see how these will look on the front cycle wings.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...tor-pair-leda9

Can't understand why they made a micro led side repeater that needs a 20mm hole to be fitted?
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:21 PM

Glued in the grill with some tiger seal. Messy job. I used a bit of MDF and a broken paving slab to hold it down as it was a bit springy being stainless steel.

Done.

Mmm not sure about the shiny look.

Got a grill badge made and painted it to highlight the the number 7 and the superman surround. It didn't look right with the grill I thought.
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:24 PM

Fully masked the nose and then two coats of primer from all angles.

Then three coats of halfords best smooth black paint.

That looked much better I thought.

Used a little zip tie to hold it in place, think I'll leave it off until after the IVA just incase they don't like it for some reason.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 2nd August 2014 at 10:40 PM.