Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2014, 08:03 AM

Don't knock the overkill of the brake lights with all those tall SUV's and mini vans trying to keep up with you, I think Dad had his Locost on the road 1-2 days when an ice cream van run in to the back of it.

just to let you know that....

I AM BRAKING!

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:58 AM

Looks like the "Force "is with you !

Nice build

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:30 AM

Tuesday: Backup lights

I finding that I conveniently left enough lighting wiring in place that its making some of this very easy.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Good progress , like the bonnet vents.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 25th April 2014, 10:17 PM

Finished up the electrical for the car last night, so everything is now functional. Just waiting on the aeroscreen and my vin number.

Anyways, went for a test drive today and actually remembered the gopro.

http://youtu.be/y7nWnLJ88bw
Old 6th May 2014, 05:01 AM

Been quiet on this end for the last week, as the car is pretty much done with the exception of tuning and alignment. I just waiting on the VIN at this point, so I can complete the registration process. Don't know know if I posted this or not, but my initial application bounced back because the state wanted photos and a bill of sale. So I made one up and sent it back week before last, so no new is good news at this point. Just hoping it doesn't take to long for a Vin to be issued. So I wrapped up everything possible this week.

I built a under tray for the rear compartment out of some leftover aluminum. This put a floor under the diff as well as some wings in the back of the wheel well to hopefully direct air coming under the car out the back versus into the trunk.

Next I took some more bed liner and did a undercoat under all the fenders, to hopefully add some protection from tires flinging rocks.

And the last thing on my punch list was getting some decent tires. Which turned out to be a slight pain in the butt. I bought a set of Toyo R1R from tirerack.com. Anyways, I took the wheels and tires to my local tire place to have them mounted and balanced. However what I got back was a bit disappointing. All 4 wheels had been damaged. One wheel had a pretty badly bent lip and all 4 had gouging on the back side where the mounting machine clamped on. Finally the person who balanced them did a horrible job, one wheel had a strip of wheel weights about 14" long. Nothing like adding a half pound of lead to a set of light weight wheels. So I brought them back and bitched to the manager, who was very understanding. So he took them and sent them off to a wheel repair shop, which fixed everything up, re-powder coated the wheels (not the worst thing since the existing powder coating from konig was pretty thin) and rebalanced the tires (without a ton of dead weight).

So other than that I'm just waiting on the wind deflector, which is somewhere in atlanta and will hopefully be delivered in the next day or 2. I also mocked up the stripes in photoshop to get a idea of what design I'm doing. I settled on the caterham 650r stripes in copper to match the wheels. Here are the photoshop mockups.

The end result should be a bit brighter and stand out more.

Last edited by StruveD : 6th May 2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 6th May 2014, 05:02 AM

The wind deflector showed up this morning, so i got right to installing it and the mirrors i had.

Old 6th May 2014, 03:45 PM

Good job well done there it's an awesome looking car and build just a shame your on the other side of the pond or I will be looking to take a closer look and a drive lol

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 16th May 2014, 04:14 AM

Another week and no VIN. Spoke to my contact this week and asked for info on time frame and was told its usually 2-4 weeks. So hopefully I will see it soon. In the mean time I've been trying to find things to do on the car. Started by taking some leftover carbon fiber vinyl from another project and made rock chip guards for the rear fenders. We'll see how well it works, It's pretty durable stuff. Then I got my bronze vinyl and had my racing stripes cut. Nothing like putting some straight lines down the center of the car to see how off center other things are. I had to do the striping twice down the hood, as either the windscreen or rear view mirror cutout on the windscreen is a little off center. So when I centered my stripes off the windscreen, it was visibly moving off center to the drivers side. I also did the stripes down the side of the car, but after living with it for a day, I decided I didn't like it very much so off it came. The goal was to match the wheels color, and when on the same plain as the wheels it does, but when on the body under different lighting the color difference was enough that it was distracting to me.

I also installed a rear view mirror from race mirrors. It was by far the cheapest of the carbon fiber rear view mirrors available, but still way more that what I would have liked to spend. The upside is they will custom make the stem for you, so you can get it in whatever height you need. He also helped verify that it would fit perfectly prior to ordering so that was very helpful.

Finally I installed a halon fire extinguisher for the car.

As you can see I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here for things to do while I wait.

Old 9th June 2014, 07:07 PM

Well after 2 months of battling with the state to trying and get antique replica status on the car, having them lose my paperwork, then deny me because the car looks to much like a kit car, I finally gave up on that approach and just registered it as a miata. So as of ten minutes ago I have done my first full on-road test drive. So thats it I'm calling it, this thing is done. Now on to tuning and a proper alignment.