Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th November 2009, 11:24 AM

Default Motivation??????

Ok guys

Im finding it dificult to motivate myself to go out to the cold garage after work when its already dark..

So what motivates you to get yourself out there on the cold winter nights??

Tilly
Old 11th November 2009, 11:36 AM

For me its seeing other users progress (AshG for instance). Reading magazines makes me enthusiastic to work on my build. Also buying stuff makes me super motivated to go and fit it.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:55 AM

i,ve found that if i,m not motivated i ask Spud69 to take me for a spin in his Roadster, does the trick every time

tho the motivation is at sky high level now with working on the Roadster every day at Saturn, tho haven,t had a chance to tinker with my own car as we,re busy with customer orders
but its still nice to see my car all day

cheers
andy
Old 11th November 2009, 12:00 PM

It helps me drink less

Seriously, after I had to quit diving, I needed something to occupy my time, otherwise I would have been in the pub all the time.

It's sweet now, get home, do a couple of hours, have something to eat, couple of hours more, back in the house at 10pm, check up on the forums, have a couple of beers.

The actual motivation can be hard at times, and now is a bit lacking at times because I am painting, and the stuff needs to dry overnight before I can overcoat it. Because it is cold, I use a touch more thinners, and let it sit 24 hours.

This leaves big gaps of time where the garage is unusable

Still, am very much looking forward to getting it painted, because then I can actually assemble the rolling chassis.
It's a major milestone, that will inspire me to get the bodywork underway.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

my motivation is a nice magazine editor called ian that goes where is my articel every month :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonsean69 View Post
It helps me drink less

Seriously, after I had to quit diving, I needed something to occupy my time, otherwise I would have been in the pub all the time.

It's sweet now, get home, do a couple of hours, have something to eat, couple of hours more, back in the house at 10pm, check up on the forums, have a couple of beers.

The actual motivation can be hard at times, and now is a bit lacking at times because I am painting, and the stuff needs to dry overnight before I can overcoat it. Because it is cold, I use a touch more thinners, and let it sit 24 hours.

This leaves big gaps of time where the garage is unusable

Still, am very much looking forward to getting it painted, because then I can actually assemble the rolling chassis.
It's a major milestone, that will inspire me to get the bodywork underway.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:21 PM

Get yourself out in one of these cars, it'll give you all the motivation you need to get cracking. Flynercle came down last Saturday after loosing his motivation, after 30mins in the car he has never stopped on his own build since.

Get yourself a little fan heater in the garage and some thick overalls and you'll soon get done. Just think of what you'll have in 6 months time and it makes it all worth while....

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 11th November 2009, 12:27 PM

Watching a couple of videos on youtube of seven style cars might help motivate you!

if you are feeling the cold just work harder

i venture out with loads of layers on and then have to slowly take them all off, especially if hacksawing or filing something down to size!
Old 11th November 2009, 01:06 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning on the way to work grey dingy sky; cold not condusive to going out in the garage. But I just have to think about the time I spent a day driving a caterham around for the today in glorious sunshine. That and the fact I know once I go out to the garage I enjoy working on the car its just that initial push to get out there.
Old 11th November 2009, 04:57 PM

i use a punch bag...

1st - it warms you up (working keeps you warm)

2nd - it de-stresses you so you're nice and calm (and dont get so angy with things that are being difficult)

3rd - its fun to hit somthing that cant hit back

as for the motivation part just think your building a car from nothing... really how many people can say they'v done that?

Jake
Spent So Far - £90
Old 11th November 2009, 05:31 PM

I knew I should not have visited you two !!!!! Now he's on my case,I still keep smiling like a kid ten times a day and yes I am getting back to the build but like I said its hard when I am there 10 hours a day as well and having plenty to do.
One day soon though !!!

Tilly please motivate yourself to post that picture of your electric reverse !!!! (you did promise an age ago)

Last edited by flyerncle : 11th November 2009 at 06:58 PM.