Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Talking of handling Mark, how are the fabricated front uprights coming along or has it ground to a halt?
Well as my posts regarding a way to sort the handling were shot down in flames it was decided to keep the fabbed uprights for something else. Besides the Vodou Mx5 design sorts the handling issues at the same time as sorting out a worthwhile donor car for the Roadster.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
Well as my posts regarding a way to sort the handling were shot down in flames it was decided to keep the fabbed uprights for something else.
Some thing else? Would this some thing else be for fast road or track use if it's set up for handling in mind? Spill the beans or the pussy gets it!

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 19th August 2011, 09:17 AM

They should all handle or why bother in the first place. Dropped two designs even though one was all but finished because it has very limited use due to regulations. The other was very much in danger of being boring and too much like something else available so it's time to be barking mad and make marmite cars.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Funny that you should say that BMW parts are a possible way forward......
One problem I can see with using 3 series is the front up right , it's massive. I've been thinking about producing replacement front hubs so that beamer stud patterns can be used on MX5 uprights.
Now that sounds interesting....

Anyone know how much power/torque the MX5 diff can take (vs BMW)?
Old 19th August 2011, 11:27 AM

Hello everybody,
I read more on more things about the MX5 as the new donor, especially with Saturn and Vodoo/TalonMotorsport launching the chassis. I've always liked this car, when I was 23 yo and Mazda issued the MX5, it was my dreamed car !
So I don't know if the situation in UK when it comes to finding a Sierra is that bad, but to me, there is a big concern about this MX5 as a donor : it is the price. Here in Sweden, you can find a very descend 2nd hand Sierra to strip off for 300 to 500 euros. Even less if, unlike me, you're OK to have a carburettor engine. And there are a lot of them for sale.
Regarding MX5 now, first there are just a few of them available, and I couldn't find an add for an second hand MX5 for sale, even broken, for less than 3000 euros ! Not the same...
So I think to stay in the "low cost" spirit, Sierra as a donor will still last for a while here (but I'm curious to know if Swedes use RWD Volvo as donor, I have to check that).
As some of you already know, I'm French, (and if you didn't know, you certainly figured it out now, reading my bad English !), but I live in Sweden. I checked adds in France and it is about the same. An MX5 as a donor is still quite expensive. The cheapest I found is a broken MX5 (for parts) at 1500 euros.
I'd have loved building my Haynes Roadster with an MX5 as a donor, but it will be a Sierra, as for the price of an MX5, I can almost finish the car based on a Sierra !
Don't know if you guys feel concern about that, but I thought it would be interesting to compare and share this experiences.
Bye.
Old 19th August 2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
They should all handle or why bother in the first place. Dropped two designs even though one was all but finished because it has very limited use due to regulations. The other was very much in danger of being boring and too much like something else available so it's time to be barking mad and make marmite cars.
Yep.

voucht - Thanks for your perspective, MX5's are really common here, both roadworthy and not. The unroadworthy ones make the current trenche of donors the roadworthy ones soon won't be .

That is the beauty of this scene; there are a lot of people doing a lot of innovating meaning that the design will never stagnate. With our design we have tried to iron out the handling issues as well as lightening the chassis by a fair bit whilst adding nice touches like closing the ends of sections - innovation.

Perhaps like the discussion earlier suggested, BMW might be a good option for you Continentals

Matt
Old 19th August 2011, 01:22 PM

MX5 here are stupid money also,even a piece of Cr@p.Also there is the stipulation in building a car that you have to use an engine from 1999 or newer or you can go for an emissions test at a cost of $4k and take your chance
Old 19th August 2011, 03:39 PM

I totally understand and support the efforts in making the roadster evolute, I think that's great, and I think you guys made a fantastic job. As most of the builders are from UK, fair enough you chosed a car popular and available for an affordable price as a donor in this country. Up to us, "on the continent" to work may be on another donor.
BMW sounds to be a good idea, but even though I haven't checked the prices, in my mind, they are not car you can get for cheap. To be studied...
Old 19th August 2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
So I think to stay in the "low cost" spirit, Sierra as a donor will still last for a while here (but I'm curious to know if Swedes use RWD Volvo as donor, I have to check that).
Voucht, rear axles of rwd Volvos can be used, but they are solid axles. Meaning you have to suit Ron Champion-s design to Roadster. On the plus side is that they handle quite good power and at least in Sweden there should be plenty with LSD available.
Old 19th August 2011, 06:22 PM

There was a firm In Poland or might even have been Russia I can't remember now but anyway they used Volvo as the donor for Uncle Ron's Locost as it's a live axle rear end.

Can't remember the last time I saw a Sierra but MX5's lurk on every street corner her in Cornwall, some are nice condition but most are complete sheds as folk down here are too dreckly to do anything. In fact I'm sure "work" is a swear word down here.......