Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st August 2011, 11:13 AM

Default No roll hoop

Hello everybody,
I don't like the roll hoop on the Haynes roadster, I think it is ugly. Well it is just a question of taste... I know it would be good for safety issues, but I have no intention to go upside down when I'll be driving the car ! A lot of convertibles, even modern ones, don't have roll hoops, as well as the original Lotus 7, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.
I would like to know if I can use the chassis with no roll hoop without compromising the strength/rigidity, especially of the rear part : to me it looks like the rear stays keeps the rear frame to bend longitudinally.
What is your mind about that ? What would be the alternative for re-enforcing the rear part without using the hoop ?
Thanks all.
Old 1st August 2011, 01:50 PM

I was thinking about this today while waiting for my wife to be seen by yet another doctor. The roll bar does not support the chassis in any way, the rear stays are to brace the roll bar not the rear tub. You could use a 50-75mm high mini roll bar just to mount the seat belts to. This is what I'm planning on doing for the IVA to keep things simple before I add the full cage.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 1st August 2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you Phil. One more time, you got my answer ! Putting a mini bar just for attaching the back points of the harnesses was my idea too, if I could get rid of the big hoop. I very glad you confirm it is possible.
To me, it is also because I want to put a hood (living in Sweden, I will need it even more than you guys from UK... bloody hell, why did I leave the sunny south of France ?!), and the big hoop being higher than the windscreen it gives a odd look to the car with the hood sloping frontward I think.
Without the big hoop, I can arrange the tubes and rigging for the hood in a better way.
Thank you very much.