Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th November 2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Out of interest - how did you cover the steering column underneath the brake reservoir? I was thinking to position it like this - but leaning towards putting it offset to towards the middle...
Old 19th November 2020, 02:09 PM

I fabricated an angled cover over the top of it which is then rivetted in place. It was quite a complex folded piece which it does a good job of covering the column. It then seemed like a sensible place to put the brake fluid reservoir.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting

Last edited by Tatey : 22nd November 2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 18th December 2020, 10:56 AM

A quick update. I now have a rolling road booked for 9th January and I'm planning to take the car to Blyton Park on 31st January if everything goes well on the rolling road.

My neighbour mentioned to me that there is actually a rolling road 1.5 miles from my house so I have now booked in here. It saves me the 2 and a half hour drive up to Bogg Bros. It is a lot more expensive but I think the hassle saving will be worth it.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 27th December 2020, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trailer looks a good fit in all respects.

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th May 2021, 08:48 AM

Well the day was finally here!

After the dyno breaking a few weeks ago meaning I had to rearrange my rolling road session again it was finally time! And what a day for it as it was absolutely chucking it down. I do need to drill some holes in my seat and floor to drain the water out!

I really just wanted the day to shake the car down, make sure there were no major issues with it and make sure the fueling was safe.

The day turned into more of a mammoth session that I had hoped as for some reason the engine was running massively rich. Trying smaller jets, different needles and different diaphragm springs got it nearly dialed in, however it is still fuelling a bit rich but it is in a safe running condition now. I will go back again in the future with some 2.0l cams and a full selection of main jets.

Other things I found out from the day were that I have wired up the rad fan the wrong way as it is spinning the wrong way. I need to put a 2x offset in for my rpm gauge and change some settings on my dash to get my temp gauge linked to the right input. It is now also reading the correct road speed.

It was fantastic, although nerve wracking see the car that has taken 12 years to get here finally being run through its paces.

I have my IVA test booked for 28th May so here is hoping that all goes well. I still have a few jobs to complete to get it ready but hopefully there won't be too many things to correct.

Old 9th May 2021, 04:33 PM

Good progress and fingers crossed for the IVA
Old 22nd May 2021, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Looking very good.

Fingers crossed for that IVA..

There's few cars getting finished these days which is a shame but at least some are still making it over the line.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Old 29th May 2021, 06:13 AM

So the IVA test at Derby went pretty well yesterday. The only fail points were on emissions, fog light marking and headlight alignment.

My carbs are still massively over fuelling which seemed to get worse during the day, so I need to have another rolling road sessions at someone more familiar with carbs. I am going to get booked in at Bogg Bros. I will buy another set of carbs, buy a full main jet kit and take along an extra bike fuel pump to try and get to the bottom of it.

My fog light is E marked but it needs to have an F or a B on it. I bought my fog light before the new rules came in. So I have ordered a new lens assembly to sort this.

Finally I had done up my headlight nuts too tight so he couldn't adjust my headlights during the test. I just need to loosen these for my retest.

A couple of other things that I need to tweak is to remove the dB killer from the exhaust as with it fitted it is very good on noise but you can't get an emissions probe down the exhaust.

I also need to make a heatshield for my exhaust manifold as it is getting my bonnet very hot.

Old 2nd June 2021, 09:36 AM

Not a bad fail - well done! To reduce heat I wrapped the exhaust manifiold and cat completely in exhaust wrap about 50mm wide, worked a treat and simple to do. I got some stainless steel ties to keep it in place, don't think plastic would have worked.
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

yeah i would be happy with that, I think my fogs is correct. Fuelling is always a bugger .

Will you get it back there in time for the restest?

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques