Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2010, 09:53 PM

All I can say is I had no trouble with the DVLA, in fact they were more than helpful.

I had my SVA at Beverly, no where near the closest but my choice. Passed and dragged the car back home... as I was going up the A19 I thought I would pop into to Stockton DVLA...

I sat in the Q and when it was my turn I plonked all the paperwork on the counter and said "I want to register a car", big grin on my phat.

She looked a little bemused and went to fetch someone else. Kelly came out, looked at the bits of paper and said "You need an inspection first".. "Its outside" I said. Kelly looked in amazement, but to cut along story short, she examined the car on the trailer and 15 mins later I was scurrying home with my tail between my legs... No insurance!

3 days later I'm back with all the docs and 15 mins later walk out with the tax.

I think as long as you know the rules and can gently advise them they can be very helpful. As it was, for me, Kelly knew the the lot and was extremely helpful.

LG,
Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 7th June 2010, 12:19 AM

Perhaps you`re just devilishly good looking!
Old 7th June 2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coozer View Post
All I can say is I had no trouble with the DVLA, in fact they were more than helpful.

I had my SVA at Beverly, no where near the closest but my choice. Passed and dragged the car back home... as I was going up the A19 I thought I would pop into to Stockton DVLA...

I sat in the Q and when it was my turn I plonked all the paperwork on the counter and said "I want to register a car", big grin on my phat.

She looked a little bemused and went to fetch someone else. Kelly came out, looked at the bits of paper and said "You need an inspection first".. "Its outside" I said. Kelly looked in amazement, but to cut along story short, she examined the car on the trailer and 15 mins later I was scurrying home with my tail between my legs... No insurance!

3 days later I'm back with all the docs and 15 mins later walk out with the tax.

I think as long as you know the rules and can gently advise them they can be very helpful. As it was, for me, Kelly knew the the lot and was extremely helpful.

LG,
Steve

That sounds exactly like my test day, but things have changed since then! it was kelly who wouldnt come outside as it was too dangerous! (against health and safety )

Its no big deal really to have to take it elsewhere to be inspected, its just once you pass iva you want everything done asap so you can get on the road
Old 9th June 2010, 11:03 AM

Too dangerous to go outside!

She climbed up on my trailer to see the engine number, that was back in 2008 though.

And, as far as good looking goes, she's the young tasty one, I'm the past his sell by date grumpy old git

Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 9th June 2010, 11:12 AM

She did the same with mine back in Jan 2009, had a good look in and around. And yes she is the young and tasty one (incase she watching)......

Guess somebody's been round doing the Risk Assessments since our time Steve. Unless they just fancy a day out of the orifice. I guess if you want your age related plate or new plate they will always have to do their inspections though. 'Q' reg wouldn't matter too much but will still have to verify engine and chassis number for log book though.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH