Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th September 2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
its nice to see another small garage, did you find the conditions too cramped?
no not to bad and i do have a bench, a compressor, a biggish mig, a tig, snapon chest and a hold load of car parts in there as well
the motorbike did have to move out onto the drive tho
Old 30th September 2012, 06:19 PM

updated
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5 e9e2&type=1

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/phot...gal&user=baz-R

[IMG][/IMG]

stands back to wait for the comments
Old 1st October 2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication View Post
It's a shame your efforts have been let down by the crap panel gaps around the leading edge of the bonnet other wise very well done.
Looking nice Baz........

The bonnet hasn't been finished off yet Phil, it's designed to be sat on a strip of 'D' trim http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/...Section,b.html laid on the rebate of the scuttle and nose cone. This will give the correct spacing to have the bonnet flush and stop any vibration, then finished off by trimming the bonnet front and back then fitting edge trim http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/...e_Trims,b.html to the bonnet to complete it. If you had built a car instead of talking about it you would know this.

Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 1st October 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonMotorFabrication View Post
It's a shame your efforts have been let down by the crap panel gaps around the leading edge of the bonnet other wise very well done.
tell me about it! its too short all the way across the top and the radius's are way off with the edge's tight up?
there is nothing in the gap at the front yet. i was a bit panic'y i had mounted the nose or scuttle in the wrong place, chassis dimensions are with in half a mm, nose is tight up and scuttle is smack on
also the bit where the bulge is keeps bowing up i have re shaped it once but it pops backup

i dont want anything ugly poking up above the panel contour or be a diffrent colour to the grp. the other big bulge ones i have seen in the flesh are about the same as mine
sadly i orignaly ordered and wanted a std one but thats a long story i dont want to go over again

i dont know what i can do realy? my only thorts was to make a new one from a sheet of alloy and get it sprayed to match but its not ideal
any one know if anything else fit triton/saturn/nts body?

Last edited by baz-r : 1st October 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 1st October 2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
tell me about it! its too short all the way across the top and the radius's are way off with the edge's tight up?
there is nothing in the gap at the front yet. i was a bit panic'y i had mounted the nose or scuttle in the wrong place, chassis dimensions are with in half a mm, nose is tight up and scuttle is smack on
also the bit where the bulge is keeps bowing up i have re shaped it once but it pops backup

i dont want anything ugly poking up above the panel contour or be a diffrent colour to the grp. the other big bulge ones i have seen in the flesh are about the same as mine
sadly i orignaly ordered and wanted a std one but thats a long story i dont want to go over again

i dont know what i can do realy? my only thorts was to make a new one from a sheet of alloy and get it sprayed to match but its not ideal
any one know if anything else fit triton/saturn/nts body?
I've had 3 years of biting my tongue but not anymore. Ever since Voodoo came along and achieved nothing except for dis-harmony within the forum you and a few others have utilized any situation to have a go at Saturn, i've always tried to stay above it all and not get involved. The 3 weeks prior to you ordering your grp you did nothing on the forum except for big up AGM and their bodywork then out of the blue you order your bodywork from Saturn!!! i should have realized the scenario at the time and not taken the order. Nothing is ever 100% perfect (unless you are a talker instead of a doer) and it's easy to find and call minor faults when put under the microscope. Btw storing the bodywork in a hot loft space above the garage exposed to changes in extreme temperatures is not good for grp. What happened to your first set of bodywork Baz, looking at the pics there was virtually nothing wrong with it then Nathan decided to replace them to keep the peace. Has somebody else got a light blue kit? Maybe i'll see it if i can get down to Exeter show.

Saturn did an awful lot of work, without recompense, to support the Haynes builders including: transport to IVA's for the price of fuel including 5 first time passes (who could say that), lots of personal advice and support in builds, collection of cars for the cost of fuel, plenty of visits from prospective builders and trips out, a 40 page build guide for use of an alternative donor to keep the culture alive now that sierra is getting scarce (I agree not perfect since i couldn't finish it but a good guide for new builders). SO it's a great disappointment to read what has been written while i have had to be away, the site should be a place to help builders and not to bitch for ulterior motives.

For the bonnet you are always going to have to trim the ends once the scuttle and nose is in place, scuttle looks like it needs to be forward a bit. The bonnet catches shouldn't have been fixed down until it was all in the correct place, the bonnet will regain shape once pulled down tight over 'D' trim over the scuttle and nose. Also the bonnet being supported all the way along the front and back edges stops any bonnet wobble at speed, an advantage of the rebate on the scuttle and nose and use of 'D' trim.

Check your spelling Baz, get a life and get on with your build.

Regards..........AndyH

Last edited by spud69 : 1st October 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:26 PM

AGM where unable to supply me grp at the time i wanted to order i'm unsure exactly of the truth why they closed for a few weeks (holiday?) that's all i know .

as far as i know most the old/original body got sold off in nathan's closing clear out as far as i know andy i had a rear panel that got left here it got chopped up went into landfill i admit i do have some side panels i was planing on possibly getting painted and fitted at a later date as the other set is bonded onto chassis but i'm sure that is it. i dont have it here if thats what you think? sorry

the guy next door was really nice and offered up some room in his rented indoor storage unit with the replacements for a few months before fitting and i tried to keep everything to stop distortion to a minimum as possible. nathan did point out i needed to clamp the bonnet with a bit of wood iirc.

as for the spelling sorry to all everyone here sadly i'm dyslexic (officially) its not great but i have to live with it and no mater how much i have tried and all the extra work i have put in. i will just be a part of me.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:27 PM

AGM where unable to supply me grp at the time i wanted to order i'm unsure exactly of the truth why they closed for a few weeks (holiday?) that's all i know .

as far as i know most the old/original body got sold off in nathan's closing clear out as far as i know andy i had a rear panel that got left here it got chopped up went into landfill i admit i do have some side panels i was planing on possibly getting painted and fitted at a later date as the other set is bonded onto chassis but i'm sure that is it. i dont have it all here if thats what you think? sorry

the guy next door was really nice and offered up some room in his rented indoor storage unit with the replacements for a few months before fitting and i tried to keep everything to stop distortion to a minimum as possible. nathan did point out i needed to clamp the bonnet with a bit of wood iirc.

as for the spelling sorry to all everyone here sadly i'm dyslexic (officially) its not great but i have to live with it and no mater how much i have tried and all the extra work i have put in. i will just be a part of me.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:54 PM

Can we put the shit fest to bed now No one is getting anything out of this.

bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 1st October 2012, 06:21 PM

sorry people! thanks robo for pointing that out its not the place for it

goes and sits on the naughty step