Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th September 2012, 08:55 PM

Default Passed 300 miles

Hi guys and nice to see andy back!
Just thought I'd post since passing the IVA and registering the roadster.

The regerstration process was a nightmare with a total 3 trips to Birmingham DVLA including taking the car for VIN inspection and incorrect payment to sort out.

Passed the 300 mile mark now, driving to work and back when the sun was out, with trips to Donnington kit show and my local town annual car show and no major problems to report!
Suspension took a bit of setting up was a bit twitchy at high speed and nervous so with abit of trial and error it's not far off now. plus a steering wheel to replace the sierra one.

Still got loads of jobs to tick off over the winter

Last edited by rich : 25th September 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:46 PM

well done rich, hoping to see it around some time.
tony
Old 26th September 2012, 08:24 AM

Very well done Rich, that looks lovely to - for me it just needs a twin black stripe down the centre now to even out the contrast between the black and orange. Is that a 2L Zetec? matches the car very well, mine on high lift cams and bike carbs screams along like a race car - you can start tinkering now.

Do a google search on setting the bump steer and play about with the steering rack position to get the angles right - the roadster can be quite susceptible to bump steer and make it feel twitchy. Setting the castor angle further forward will help smooth the front end to.

You should be very chuffed..........Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 26th September 2012, 01:38 PM

Would prefer collection but I can deliver within the boundaries of Hereford/Newport/Bristol/Cheltenham
Old 26th September 2012, 04:14 PM

Yeh it's a 2.0l zetec with a fabricated plenum on omex Andy, drives well and pulls well low down for a 16V

Going to try and make a windscreen for it over the winter that's why I haven't fitted any areo screen or stickers yet

I have pretty much maximum castor angle for the IVA test and have put alot of tow in on tracking and it has improved, I haven't tried shifting the steering rack as yet will have a read up
Old 26th September 2012, 07:32 PM

Looks mint,

One question though......

Over £400 for IVA test and the bloody tester looks like hes fallen asleep in the car! Hope you gave him a kick up the arse!!!
Old 26th September 2012, 10:30 PM

looking good
what size wheels are thay thay look massive to me
Old 27th September 2012, 07:21 PM

They are only 15" Baz!

The IVA tester was a sound guy, the nearest vosa test station was Kidderminster, was there for over 5 hours but he let us watch the whole test chatting and helping out!

What confused me was the first thing the IVA tester did was check the stamped chassis vin number and id plate. If these didn't match the paperwork then that's an instant fail! So when handing all the paperwork into DVLA with the IVA pass certificate they insisted i bring the vehicle for a VIN inspection! When i questioned this to the guy explaining what the IVA involves, his response was "well we are the DVLA not VOSA we need to check the vehicle is what you say it is sir!"
So anyway took the car to DVLA for its inspection, was told to unload it off the trailer, chap came out with a clip bored was there 2 minutes, asked me a few questions and that was it! Picked up the reg documents the next day after paying the correct amount!

Last edited by rich : 27th September 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 27th September 2012, 07:37 PM

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/sid15/Kit/
Old 27th September 2012, 08:29 PM

VOSA are quite switched on nice guys Rich but DVLA are a bunch of dummies, you used to be able to drive to DVLA for inspection which wasn't too bad. They say they have to check for donor or new parts for the type of registration you are applying for but they haven't a clue what they are looking for anyway. There was a lad, David17, who used to be on here that got a new registration for all used parts from Darlington dvla, wish i new at my time and i'd have applied for a new.

Your photos need a password to access Rich.

Andrew

Regards..........AndyH